Thread: How to void your camera warranty

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    I think a lot of people in this thread sound ignorant why they say " why are they using a red for youtube" None of you have probably worked with YouTube monetization but um... They make millions of dollars a year off these videos and sponsorships. Whats $50,000 on a camera that can be bought used for 25 these days. It gives them amazing quality and a bunch of other features. Maybe they transcend youtube one day and have an actual television show, who knows. That's like saying why would I buy a Mercedes to go to work when I can just buy a Toyota.

Linus is doing a great job communicating geekiness. Nothing wrong with that. And his company is up to +25 employees.
    In that respect he has done better than many on monetising his RED.

Marques Brownlee is another prominent Tech YouTuber shooting RED.

I actually love their pragmatic approach to imagery.

Does it look cinematic?
    No. Not at all!

Does it serve their purpose to have lit sets and high resolutions?
    You betcha!

Does it sel RED additional cameras?
    I'd believe so

Are these smart guys?
    Of course they are!
    Marques has gone a bit out of form and interviewed Bill Gates, Elon Musk and the like.
    And the format expands.

None of us know where these guys will take their work, but they have arguably achieved more with their REDs than many others.

So why shouldn't they use them?
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

I have a confession...

I too use RED's to shoot YouTube videos. (as well as content for our OTT and cable channels) YouTube pays way more than I ever made in 'mainstream' serious filmaking or TV advertising.
    It not only pays more, but I also work less and have more time to enjoy life without shuffling through the line for 2nd meal at 2am.

If that makes me a joke loser YouTuber - I'll take it!
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Powell View Post
    I have a confession...

I too use RED's to shoot YouTube videos. (as well as content for our OTT and cable channels) YouTube pays way more than I ever made in 'mainstream' serious filmaking or TV advertising.
    It not only pays more, but I also work less and have more time to enjoy life without shuffling through the line for 2nd meal at 2am.

If that makes me a joke loser YouTuber - I'll take it!
    And all the power to you!
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

I've always felt the best camera is the one that let's you tell your story in the best way possible. RED cameras are great at that, but if you're a solo operator and many of your shots are out of focus in your YT videos, then you've immediately failed and should look to other cameras. Focus/exposure are far worse than any artifacts you may get shooting on lesser cameras. I even feel some of the scenarios that Blackmagic advertises using the Pocket 4K are a bit ridiculous.

If this new lidar autofocus tech makes it into other cameras like RED or BM, there might be more of a market for these cameras as youtube cams.