Thread: How to void your camera warranty

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Jarosz View Post
    They've built a small media empire simply on the basis that they love technology. If you had that much money, and could afford a Red just for funzies without ever having to worry about paying it off, wouldn't you buy one too?

Yeah, they could have bought a C300 like sane people. But then they'd still have a swimming pool full of money and that "What if?" feeling keeping them up at night.
    I kind of like the topics they do, like tearing apart a RED camera, that can be a good story, it would just help them to use something else to shoot it (C200 or some other really fast autofocus camera).
    Linus is a good entertainer on youtube, that doesn't mean that bigger or more expensive, more pixels, etc.. is always better (just watch some of his videos to see how often it is out of focus).

There are just some jobs where other camera-lens combination are a better choice.

On the other hand they also show upresed 2k in IMAX theaters, guess the consumer just doesn't care, as long as the story is intertaining.

I believe it was Mr Jannard who once said the technical challenges of the Red DSMC camera design.... was like building a nuclear reactor and fitting it into a matchbox.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Scarlet, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, Amira and Classic, Sony Venice, Varicam LT
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's, Super Speeds
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa Evolution, Atlas Orion A + B sets
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Like our Facebook and follow Instagram pages for updates

I'm totally with Phil on this one. If you guys have watched Linus with any regularity, you would know that this is completely within the 'normal' range of content they produce. Let's keep in mind that there used to be a fad of buying brand new iPhones and smashing them in front of the Apple store on release day - just for the sake of views and clicks. Linus may seem like he approaches things without care, but under the surface he's learning the ins and outs of the product he and his crew use every day. Disassembling this was a learning experience and something that no one (that I'm aware of) has done before. They did the tear down because they have the means to, which I personally think is informative, interesting, and worthwhile content. There are much, much worse videos of technology 'abuse' on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Linus (the on screen talent) probably doesn’t care/know about camera tech/cinematography specifically. It’s Brandon, the cinematographer/cam-op that suggested RED as an option (for a bunch a legit reasons; ripping stills, future proofing, for shooting their more cinematic skits, etc) and knows his shit (re:backfocus, cinematography, etc). He’s the dude off-camera at the beginning (hilariously) saying “oh god” and shaking his head. I’m pretty sure he knows it’s a bad idea, he knows it’s clickbait, but he’s also worked there long enough to know it’s just what Linus and crew do and why they have successful channels... (but no doubt he was sweatin’ the entire time Linus was ripping bits off).

And in any case, I’m confident they’ll be able to put it back together. If not, they just got a Canon and BMD Pocket 4k that they can use as b/c cams
    Knows his shit? "UHHH.... The Red..... WiFi and Bluetooth." It has Bluetooth? Guess I don't know MY shit.

They scare me but you scare me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Jarosz View Post
    Yeah, they could have bought a C300 like sane people. But then they'd still have a swimming pool full of money and that "What if?" feeling keeping them up at night.
    Respect.

By the way "What's up guys, please hit like and subscribe, what's up guys what's up guys what's up guys leave a comment below. What's up guys."

Linus is pretty fun...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

Seems like a few redusers are throwing jabs at Linus and his company for using a high end camera for youtube work. Maybe you think that Red cameras should only be mounted to helicopters and breathed on by the likes of Peter Jackson. Get over yourself, he is running a massively successful production company and has every right to use the best tools available. Who cares if the camera never leaves the set, or if he even only has his content watched on smartphones. The fact is, you are all here talking about his video and why? Because he took apart a red camera. Kind of ironic, seems like he knew the kind of response that video would get.

Only about 870k views so far. He usually do better. I think for the average joe, a red camera is probably not the most interesting thing to see in bits. For the same money I think he could find something more desirable and tear apart. But then again if he can not get it together himself, he can just put all bits in a box and send them to red I think a reassemble will maybe not be so expansive. So then those 870k kicks did not cost that much.

Im guessing also he got the camera for free, seams like just too many bloggers bought helium cameras when they just came out and then decided not to use them that much, so possibly it was a freebee for Linus and he saw this as way to make a profit from it.

But he normally gather more views quicker with his videos. Still I think both for him and RED it was worth it. Lot of kids that does not even know what a RED is that now has it as top of mind as expansive cameras. One day those kids makes an extra buck and want to make films, then they will come trolling here... :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

so he was basically trying to keep the fan noise down on the 8k helium, so he wanted to take it apart and add a water cooler?

Is fan noise a problem for 8k helium users?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Im guessing also he got the camera for free, seams like just too many bloggers bought helium cameras when they just came out and then decided not to use them that much, so possibly it was a freebee for Linus and he saw this as way to make a profit from it.
    I'm guessing that the guy is pretty autistic and thought he could reinvent the wheel. In turn, show Jarred and Red Company he can do it better than them and failed
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant