Thread: Defending RED, Camera (Brand) Wars, Shot On What?!

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    It's not a frikking SS skull. It's a visual analogy.

Red had "camera brains" before. Which was innacurate analogy.
    It's a camera head. Head = skull outside, brain inside.

If it associates to that, it's a matter of particular design approach and context (especially with militaristic naming), not the symbol itself.
    I really like shooting on RED but I think I am not the only one who absolutely hates the aesthetics of their branding. ever since the R1 it had this tattooed biker feel to their marketing and im not a fan.
    It's just not for everyone. With that said it is a weird thing to base your camera choice on. That shouldn't matter on set.

Quote Originally Posted by Andriy Trofymenko View Post
    I really like shooting on RED but I think I am not the only one who absolutely hates the aesthetics of their branding. ever since the R1 it had this tattooed biker feel to their marketing and im not a fan.
    It's just not for everyone. With that said it is a weird thing to base your camera choice on. That shouldn't matter on set.
    Just trying to get your perspective here...
    How does the Arri Brand Naming's sound for you? or Let's say from Sony.

Arri for sure feels Feminine to me. Alexa, Amira... etc. But we can not take it as a reason not to shoot with those damn good cameras.
    I don't think Branding would be the core reason for not being picked up.

If we're talking about branding on the actual camera and modules, I'd like to see more options there, including no logo's or insignia at all. That's not in reaction to RED's particular styling, but applies to all the products I buy or use. Maybe with DSMC3 we'll have more of a choice in regards to what we display (or cover up) on our equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Uday Bhaskar Karra View Post
    Just trying to get your perspective here...
    How does the Arri Brand Naming's sound for you? or Let's say from Sony.

Arri for sure feels Feminine to me. Alexa, Amira... etc. But we can not take it as a reason not to shoot with those damn good cameras.
    I don't think Branding would be the core reason for not being picked up.
    Arri Alexa does sound a bit feminine and most camera owner operators especially foreign ones refer to their cameras in feminine terms "I really enjoy shooting with her". Its so common I dont think about it. But the femininity or masculinity is not the vibe I get from either brand.
    It's not as relevant as other aspects. Its more like Formula 1 racing vs Nascar. Think something with more class vs something that's less refined but still capable. Both are masculine but in different ways. The vibe I get from Arri are more associated with these terms: classy, heritage, precision, with a tad of industrialness, if that's even a word. RED you could associate more with a power tool in a garage. Different terms come to mind. In a male dominated space like technology, femininity seems to sell. Amazon adopted the same name for their voice assistant. Apple did the same thing. I guess it appeals to a mans psyche. As for sony the branding comes across as very suit and tie. Very corporate. Not artsy, like Im supposed to use their equipment for TV broadcasting and corporate interviews. But I had to take the nostalgia of using sony products as a kid out of the equation to get that flavor of sony in my mind. Anyway that's just my perspective. Everyone is different. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andriy Trofymenko View Post
    Arri Alexa does sound a bit feminine and most camera owner operators especially foreign ones refer to their cameras in feminine terms "I really enjoy shooting with her". Its so common I dont think about it. But the femininity or masculinity is not the vibe I get from either brand.
    It's not as relevant as other aspects. Its more like Formula 1 racing vs Nascar. Think something with more class vs something that's less refined but still capable. Both are masculine but in different ways. The vibe I get from Arri are more associated with these terms: classy, heritage, precision, with a tad of industrialness, if that's even a word. RED you could associate more with a power tool in a garage. Different terms come to mind. In a male dominated space like technology, femininity seems to sell. Amazon adopted the same name for their voice assistant. Apple did the same thing. I guess it appeals to a mans psyche. As for sony the branding comes across as very suit and tie. Very corporate. Not artsy, like Im supposed to use their equipment for TV broadcasting and corporate interviews. But I had to take the nostalgia of using sony products as a kid out of the equation to get that flavor of sony in my mind. Anyway that's just my perspective. Everyone is different. Hope this helps.
    Ok I may have deviated this discussion in a different direction. Sorry for that.
    However, what I am trying to understand is... does brand naming, styling, logos would make people choose the cameras?
    Choosing a consumer level product like phones Would be influenced from above aesthetics... but at a professional level movie making?

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Ok I may have deviated this discussion in a different direction. Sorry for that.
    However, what I am trying to understand is... does brand naming, styling, logos would make people choose the cameras?
    Choosing a consumer level product like phones Would be influenced from above aesthetics... but at a professional level movie making?
    REDS branding/style is that of an upmarket Tattoo parlor.

I know that is not for everyone.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    If we're talking about branding on the actual camera and modules, I'd like to see more options there, including no logo's or insignia at all. That's not in reaction to RED's particular styling, but applies to all the products I buy or use. Maybe with DSMC3 we'll have more of a choice in regards to what we display (or cover up) on our equipment.
    If I could choose I pick all my toys, tools and other stuff without graphics, laser engravings or other branding and the stuff can all come in any color as long as they are black.

Big text on front of the red 5" touch screens where it says "pro" to me kind of screams not pro at all. Same goes for the scull on the side of DSMC2 and all the other laser engravings. And if I was a pro DP Im sure all that stuff would put off even more.

But this kind of stuff is everywhere. Does not matter what it is, impossible to buy a plain snowboard, surf kite, wakeboard, bike, car, phone, computer or what ever. They all have marketing departments that seams to think that they have not done their job right before they put stickers, brand colors and name imprints over the whole thing. I like to think they are all doing it wrong that I can't be the only one that would appreciate a more clean approach.

Model name next to the serial number underneath the camera and nothing else, thats what I would have done if it was up to me for the DSMC3 lineup.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I didn't want to say anything but dam!! Everyone here knew the "Red Culture" before and after they bought into the "Red ecosystem. Now everyone is like " hey red, thanks for all the upgrade options and the close interaction with the Red team and upper management, including the President of the company. However, we don't like anything you always stood for, or quite frankly you as individuals"

"Why aren't you more like Leica or hasselblad "

"Why don't all the great guys who spend the time and effort to make the Red video not wearing Tailored suits, with arched eyebrows and haircuts from super cuts"

I understand that some feel that all the skull logos and other things about the Red Culture may "Put Off" others in a professional environment who don't understand it, however, you all know better! Don't piss on the people and company that got you where you are in your professional carreers!

This is one of the dumbest discussions ever here.
    RED doesn't need to be defended. They can do it all by themselves.
    What this is really about is people justifying their own choices and basically preaching to the choir.
    Get over it guys.

Arri for sure feels Feminine to me. Alexa, Amira... etc.
    Camera IS feminine.

It would be called camer otherwise.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol