Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Limited Raven upgrade to Dragon-X

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Limited Raven upgrade to Dragon-X 
    I know a few of the Raven peeps have been looking for an upgrade opportunity and there is a brief one.

Raven does not have an official upgrade path, which was announced from the very beginning, but Jarred is doing something special for those looking to step up.

Follow the instructions. It happens soon.

Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Dragon X

This inevitably makes me look like an asshole because I know this is a gesture that Jarred didn’t have to do, but I can’t help but feel a bit bad for the people who took Jarred at his word about “no upgrades”—there are probably people who sold their Raven brains for far less than the $6500 in value they would have gotten from this trade-in. Hell, I bet there were a lot of people who paid extra to upgrade to a Scarlet-W back when the Raven came out because that “future upgrades” carrot was dangled in front of them.

In fact, the last few camera releases have mysteriously re-opened upgrades for people who were told that if they didn’t upgrade the *last time* that they’d be left behind forever! It’s getting harder to believe the promise/threat of the upgrade stuff. And I think a lot of customers are getting tired of the unpredicatability. (I know, tech industry, things change, etc. but no one else utilizes the sunk cost fallacy to such an extent, IMO)
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

I'm certain it's a tricky balance, but RED always seems to find a way to make things work. Raven is/was a particular pickle, but Jarred listen to a few owners who want to move up in the ecosystem and continue that journey.

Certainly sometimes it makes sense to sell a body for various reasons. This is for people who have that Raven and want to go to a full future-path oriented DSMC2 body. Plus having IPP2 in camera is a big deal at this point.

The real mind blower for me was the RED One offer to DSMC2 a while back. That was unheard of.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #5  
    Josh, this is a true swap, not an upgrade. And, as Jarred stated, we lose money on every person who takes him up on this offer. Which is why Finance, hell, even I, said not to do it.

But Jarred felt strongly about it. It is for a small window and still is a big step for a lot of Raven owerns as far as cash outlay. But to get into DSMC2 moving forward, some people will indeed go for it.

Oh, wait, forgot this is not official, so forget that I replied...

Not a Raven owner, but this kind if consistent commitment to doing right by the community is one of the things that I appreciate most about Red and its leaders.

Just curious what the hardware and/or firmware support looks like in the future for those who keep their Raven and don’t update?

I'm tempted to upgrade but with dsmc3 near the corner mmm I think I'll save some money and wait or buy a GEMINI as A/night camera. Good deal though!
    Sciukka - RED Raven #001325

It's a great offer and does show that RED has a heart. Time and again we've seen them bend their own rules to help people out. Great way to run a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    It's a great offer and does show that RED has a heart. Time and again we've seen them bend their own rules to help people out. Great way to run a business.
    I agree with the leniency in upgrade paths over the years. My only wish is that there were still a path within the same budget tier. Raven owners certainly factored the (relatively) low cost when purchasing it - as a nice BCAM, a gimbal cam, or as a primary cam. This upgrade path, while very generous, requires an investment exceeding the cost of the brain they already purchased, just to stay current in the RED world. So, 4K4ALL "affordable" becomes 4K4ALL "affordable x 2".

I've got a Raven with under 40 hours on it. It doesn't make sense for me to double my investment cost. If I had beaten the heck out of it, and racked up 600 hours, then it might make sense for me to swap it out. But, I'll just keep it and continue to make beautiful pictures with it.

So, cool opportunity for folks. Kudos to Jared. But also hoping there will be longterm tech support for those who hang on to their little bird.