Thread: Richard Gale Optics - Trump, Apogee, or Clavius Set?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Richard Gale Optics - Trump, Apogee, or Clavius Set? 
    Hey All!

New to the thread. Shot in the dark here, but would really like to hear from some people about these lenses. I've been eyeing their iterations for years and they seem to present a nice duo of affordability and performance for character lenses. I know all about them, but just looking for people's opinions and if anyone is trying to unload a set? Any info appreciated!

Cheers,
    S

Bumpo!

Try asking in the Lens Test forum http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdi...p?6-Lens-Tests

respectfully

Rory

I think the Clavius lenses are the most under rated lenses on the market. The 28mm is easily my favorite in the lineup. The latest housings (Clavius) are simply incredible. They feel like master primes and are very durable. The amount of looks one can achieve with these lenses is astounding. So many different variations. If you like the look of the Helios-44 you'll love these lenses. Good luck on your search!
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)

Clint (or anyone else), do you know the weight of a Clavius lens?

I have the O.G. Trump lens + 38mm front... Love the image, but I'm not a fan of the mechanics. Seems like that has been greatly improved, but I'm concerned about how heavy the new Clavius models look.

I had the short lived Optikov version in brass (same as Apogee). I'd say the mechanics of the Optikov and Clavius are night and day, but the weight seems the same. I can weigh mine next week and report back. I can say with certainty that the Clavius series do not have the super heavy focus like the others. I had issues with the Optikovs, but zero problems with the Clavius. Butter smooth focus and light too.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

Thanks guys appreciate the help. I’ve heard all mechanics have greatly improved over the iterations. I might have to just bite the bullet and order a set...but just want to get feelers out there!

Thanks Clint, if you're able to weight one, that would be much appreciated! I checked the R.G.O. site but it's not listed in the specs.

Was really hoping they would get a bit lighter in newer generations... the Trumps are pretty heavy, for what they are :)

Ivan, I see the Apogee lenses weighed here http://www.richardgaleoptics.uk/technical/

I have a friend with a Clavius set and I believe they weigh similar to the Apogees and are much lighter than the original Trumps, which feel like a solid chunk of metal on a flimsy PL mount. New sets feel MUCH better. I'll see if he can get an exact weight but no issues with Movi builds in the past.

I'll be able to weigh them on Thursday. They will vary a lot. The 58mm is obviously the lightest, because there is no optical adapter on the front. The 28mm is the heaviest if I remember correctly.
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography