Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED TECH - Black Shade Calibration

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This should be required before you can take delivery of your camera.
    Nice job thanks again RED.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    I have a question. Why does RED recommend a manual calibration for Gemini, Helium, etc and auto for Dragon? What difference does it make?
    Because the Dragon can do a lot of Kung-fu shit. It doesn't need to be told how to shade to black. Auto is just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    I have a question. Why does RED recommend a manual calibration for Gemini, Helium, etc and auto for Dragon? What difference does it make?
    It's just much faster.

It's very nice, thanks. Just a small opinion for the next ones : please shut down the background music, it's a pain to listen to when someone's talking. I know it's quite common nowadays, unfortunately, but it makes it harder to follow the message.

Kristin

Senior Member gandalf de maupeou's Avatar
    Great stuff!

As many, I’ve been digging in the forum to find information and it seemed that auto calibration was recommended for Monstro.
    I’ll look for the post later but did anyone found the same recommandation?

This was great. I did not know that you should do a manual one on Helium. I guess it will just save time.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    This was great. I did not know that you should do a manual one on Helium. I guess it will just save time.
    Manual also helps with the 'green tint shadows' quite a bit as well. (Still some green tint, but not as pronounced as on Auto).

Is it necessary to black shade for different frame rates (not Varispeed)? In other words, should I have a calibration for 23.98 FPS in a 23.98 project and a separate calibration for 29.97 FPS in a 29.97 project, or is the same calibration fine for both? Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bone View Post
    Is it necessary to black shade for different frame rates (not Varispeed)? In other words, should I have a calibration for 23.98 FPS in a 23.98 project and a separate calibration for 29.97 FPS in a 29.97 project, or is the same calibration fine for both? Thank you in advance!
    Short answer to your question is "Yes". You do need to black shade to whatever the frame rate you'd set the camera at.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bone View Post
    No, you don't need to do this, and it's more about the shutter angle/speed than the frame rate. Calibrating at 24 fps at 180 (1/48 second) will cover a pretty wide range of shutter speeds, I think from 1/8000 second to something like 1/2 second. It would be good to do one for regular shooting, and one for longer exposures. My numbers might be off, but the point is that you certainly do not need to have separate calibrations for 24p and 30p.