Thread: Laser Damage

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Laser Damage 
    I just got my Monstro and I have to say its truly an amazing camera. I get really concerned when I see an AC using one of those cheap laser measurers . I worry about it hitting a mirror or the talents shinny jewelry or something unforeseen and bouncing back to the mega $$ sensor. Am I just been paranoid or are these lasers tape measurers a issue I should be concerned about?

I mean any laser getting near the sensor is a bad idea.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Every good AC has had a bosch or a hilti on set for the last 10 years, I have never seen or heard of a sensor being damaged by one. I think it's bigger more powerful lasers at events and such that you need to be concerned about. My AC will sometimes put a piece of white gaffers tape on something on the camera on the film plane so he can go out and set marks and ping the camera for distance. He never hurt anything.

Nick

I'm sure any experienced AC will have an understanding of the dangers of lasers. I, myself, will first aim down at the floor and carefully bring it up to the subject. I'll also at times close up the eyebrow if enough reflective matterials are seen or if I, for some foresaken reason, need to measure TOWARDS the camera and don't have a measuring tape on hand.

If it really bothers you, you can always ask your 1st to strictly use his measuring tape.

I don't think you'll ever really experience real danger from AC's laser pointer. I use 'em constantly and haven't even thought about it. Welding is a much brighter source and in almost all cases does not affect any damage to a camera sensor.

those darn kids and their pesky technology

nahh, you shouldn't be pointing it at cameras, even if you were and setting marks from the field you would be pointing at the focal plane, not the sensor or shooting into the lens.

...also, I think Nick is right, that the laser isn't powerful enough to damage the sensor, but I've never tried.

I've had people concerned with possibly hitting talent in the eye, but I've never done that to an actor or heard of it happening
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

How the hell AC gonna point laser to the camera? Its usually other way :)
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Hello guys.
    Can you tell me which laser tools you are (or your ACs) using? Which Bosch or Hilti products can you recommend?

Thank you very much from an lerning AC ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    those darn kids and their pesky technology

nahh, you shouldn't be pointing it at cameras, even if you were and setting marks from the field you would be pointing at the focal plane, not the sensor or shooting into the lens.

...also, I think Nick is right, that the laser isn't powerful enough to damage the sensor, but I've never tried.

I've had people concerned with possibly hitting talent in the eye, but I've never done that to an actor or heard of it happening

Laser pointers, distance measuring tools and laser leveling devices are usually very weak. I doubt you find one in the hardware store that damage the sensor even if you hold it centemeters from lens and point straight in.

Used a lot of laser for leveling when doing milo stuff. Never had problems.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by richiel View Post
    I just got my Monstro and I have to say its truly an amazing camera. I get really concerned when I see an AC using one of those cheap laser measurers . I worry about it hitting a mirror or the talents shinny jewelry or something unforeseen and bouncing back to the mega $$ sensor. Am I just been paranoid or are these lasers tape measurers a issue I should be concerned about?
    Concern would be based on two premises combined: a) that ACs are idiots and b) those devices are powerful enough. :)

- Bosch measurers are fine,
    - No name ultra extra bought somewhere = who knows
    - Club, "rave" & concert laser light show > keep the camera away
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol