Thread: Tangent Wave2 - experiences?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Tangent Wave2 - experiences? 
    Hi there

Anybody having experience with Tagent Wave2? I would be especially interested how well or 'okay' it works in Resolve. I already read the review by John Ewelyn, but would be interested in other opinions.

Cheers

Works fantastic and responds without lag 10 stars for me.

It's a terrific control panel in this price range. Tangent put a lot of work in the design and layout, and it shows -- it's a big improvement over the original Wave. One advantage of a panel like this is that it functions in a lot of different kinds of software, which could be a plus if you go back and forth between (say) Resolve, Colorfront, Premiere, or FCPX.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks for sharing.

I plane to use it with Resolve and Capture One Pro. While in C1 Pro implementation is a no brainer I read online that BMD and Tangent don't seem to be close friends, so I was a) wondering how well it is implemented in R15 since it doens't seem to have been updated since R10/11 and b) how long can I expect it to work in Resolve? I would be very disapointed if in R16 it would not be supported or if BMD never updates the Tangent Driver to new functions like Middetail.

Cheers

Better than the first. But for flame ops or anyone using a pen the form factor is still useless compared to elements.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

The first Wave was an ergonomic catastrophe. Elements is still the way to go for a “budget” panel setup that will work with most software. Wave2 does look like an improvement of sorts, but still suffering from most of the ergonomic blunders of the first. It’s just not a good layout... I think I prefer the smaller version of the Wave2, but they’re mostly the same when it comes to actually using them.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I have an Avid Artist Color sitting around collecting dust... Worked great for me for a long time, but I just upgraded to the Resolve Mini Panel... Let me know if you're interested...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_Surface.html
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

I really love the Resolve Mini Panel, although I only use Resolve.
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

The original Wave 1 panel was designed by the outside design bureau and it shows. It was done that way in the name of expediency and at that time it was the first Tangent's Design foray into consumer market. Now the design of the Wave 2 was brought back into a house and they used wealth of hardware design experience and the consumer feedback based on failures of Wave 1 and the success of Elements. Wave 2 is completely different animal, but when it is used with Resolve, it is as usual, had been neutered by the awful design choices on the part of BM. From operational point of view it is identical to Wave 1. Unlike other software manufacturers, BM has zero interest in implementing an excellent Mapper software. But truth to be told, so is many other manufacturers, like Assimalate or FilmLight. To me the biggest drawback using Wave 2 panel with Resolve vs Micro or Mini panels is the BM refuses to map the trackball to the offsets controls of the Wave. So, if anyone is used to grading using classic film style grading with offsets, contrast and pivot, none of the panels other than by BM will suffice and that's a shame.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel