Thread: Internal batteries - recharge methods

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Internal batteries - recharge methods 
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Since we won't be able to fix the internal battery problems that have been plaguing all Red cameras, I've tried to look into how to recharge the batteries.

I've been using just regular batteries to keep the camera running in order to charge the batteries from time to time, but this methods is a bit tedious. I've done it because I read in some old thread that the camera doesn't actually recharge the internal battery when the AC is plugged in, only through battery power. But I've yet to test and see if this is the case. I'm also wondering about power save mode.

Is it possible to recharge the internal battery with the AC power?
    Is it possible to recharge the internal battery with a battery in power saving mode?
    Is it possible to recharge the internal battery with AC power in power saving mode?

Does anyone know who might have tested this out in detail?
    Could Red maybe answer this or if there's a source to this specific information?

If there's no way to charge the internal battery in power saving mode, could this maybe be something added in a firmware update?
    I don't see a problem with enabling this function so that you can plug in the AC, put the camera in power saving mode and have it sit there for a day or two to really charge the internal battery to the max.
    This is crucial for everyone who's not using the camera every day and it would save a lot in costs because of dead internal batteries.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

+1. Would like to hear Red informations.

+1

Internal battery change is kind of,,,

+1 Important questions.

Also, does it harm/help the internal battery if you leave an external battery on the camera for a longer period - say a couple of weeks?
    What is the best way to preserve it?

It would be very useful if RED can provide detailed information on this topic.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the external power or battery power trickle charges the internal battery, which is why most people who have the issue come from cameras not in use for some time. Will confirm with RED however.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

From previous discussions here, I was under the impression the internal battery only trickle charges when AC power is applied to the camera.

I think each camera probably has its own best method for recharging its internal battery, based on its condition and how it gets used, so it might not be practical to give specific recommendations.

For me personally, if having a user-replaceable internal battery compromises the small form-factor of the camera body, I'd rather it not be implemented in future RED camera designs.

What I'd be pushing for though, in any case, is having the status of the internal battery able to be monitored by the end-user. I don't care if I have to have the thing sitting there re-charging for 36hrs, but at least have a readout in-camera that lets me know when it needs to be done.

I'm not sure how it could make a difference. In either case you are feeding the camera with DC power. Internally, I believe that the DC signal flows through the same PC board.
    Epic-M Dragon #1271

DSMC1 cameras have a non-rechargeable but replaceable button battery. Here's a thread that shows how to replace it - http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ery-RED-EPIC-X

DSMC2 cameras have a rechargeable battery. This thread has a couple of anecdotal responses from RED support that say the camera needs to be run for 30-35hrs on AC power for the internal battery to be fully charged (a couple of hours for a partial recharge), and that the battery should then last around 90 days depending on storage temperature. - http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1759565

There was also mention that the internal battery status can be found somewhere in a camera log file, I'd be interested to know if that's something the end-user can look at to find the actual charge level of their internal battery.

Using FoolControl was also mentioned as a quick temporary fix to reset the date and time if it's been lost.