Thread: Monstro Dailies projected

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    How much of this kind of work have you been involved with that you feel qualified to make such statements? Or are you simply saying what you "think" is reality? And what makes you think that those involved in creating infrastructures and workflows for the larger VFX houses are somehow incompetent or unaware of how to optimize hardware, software, and systems for the tasks required?
    I have a computer science background inlcuding many years of image processing so I know a thing or two about the algorithms, mathematical models and HW involved. When 4K after all these years of mastering 2K is still a huge challenge somethig is very amiss. But as I said, some people are quite able to do the whole chain in 4K or at least most in 4K and some below because that is what the director asks for and it did not break the bank ( for example Elysium, Mortal Engines, special effetcs for Nolan films).
    Michel Hafner

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    Bring on Quantum computing. I would like to add the VFX material is not created with a camera therefore it is not negatively impacted by optics and the camera recording process and often it can be "perceived" as higher resolution than the equivalent camera footage. On a science fiction show I worked on we ended up adding some softening and noise/grain to the 2K VFX shots to match our anamorphic captured camera footage.
    That makes perfect sense to me. CGI is pixel-perfect and has perfect accutance, unlike light that goes through multiple glass layers to be captured by some kind of image sensor.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Guys, just to add to this with something that bothered me working in projection at a cinema.
    The site I worked at would not pay the extra cost to receive a 4K DCP and instead would only screen 2K DCP prints. Even in the larger screens, screens that charged a premium mind you.
    Clearly not the reality everywhere, but when talking about this I thought I would mention. I think it is a shame that even if houses choose 4K out, some places still don't want to pay to screen in that resolution which annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_G View Post
    Guys, just to add to this with something that bothered me working in projection at a cinema.
    The site I worked at would not pay the extra cost to receive a 4K DCP and instead would only screen 2K DCP prints. Even in the larger screens, screens that charged a premium mind you.
    Clearly not the reality everywhere, but when talking about this I thought I would mention. I think it is a shame that even if houses choose 4K out, some places still don't want to pay to screen in that resolution which annoys me.

It's time to shut down the theater screens. Transform them in supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    It's time to shut down the theater screens. Transform them in supermarkets.
    What logic is there in a statement like that? Or are you just angry at something for personal reasons? What problem do you have with the existence of movie theaters (which many millions of people worldwide - including me - generally enjoy going out to)?

Most high end vfx companies are already building out assets, sims, tools, and so on to already be able to handle higher resolutions, it just becomes a question of whether or not it makes sense for particular shots, shows, and so on. Most 4k cameras don't really resolve to the same resolution that a 4k vfx render resolves to. Generally it would be pretty wasteful to render 4k just to soften everything up to match the shot footage. It's not really a question of whether it is possible more of a question of whether it is worth it. Artist time is much more expensive than render time and much much much harder to scale.

If shooting on 70mm or equivalent digital sensors, it may be worth while to do a higher resolution vfx finish but if a film was shot on 8k monstro, a 4k vfx finish is still likely to resolve at higher resolution than even the best sensor or film scan is capable of.

When I started TV was going to kill cinemas, then it was VHS that was going to finally end them, then DVD was going to give cinemas the coup de grâce quickly followed by Blu Ray then giant flat screen TV's had a bash now streaming services. In reality the social and event nature of the cinema experience means they will not be turned into supermarket screens anytime soon. While I agree with some of the whinging about cinema presentation the reality is that in 2018 the image standard on most screens is higher than its ever been.
    Tom Gleeson

Also 2018 was Hollywood's biggest year ever - so Cinemas are making $$$.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    What logic is there in a statement like that? Or are you just angry at something for personal reasons? What problem do you have with the existence of movie theaters (which many millions of people worldwide - including me - generally enjoy going out to)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_G View Post
    I also love big screen. But those theater that don't push quality (content and technical) won't survivre and close their doors. The theaters around the world have to push the limits for the sake of enterteinment and to attract the customers or they will be closing their doors and become supermarkets.

Pat