Thread: Blackmagic Update march 2019

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Blackmagic Update march 2019 
    There is coming some new products and updates. Even an never version of the mini Ursa pro.
    Braw to bmpcc 4k.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnB3...&frags=pl%2Cwn
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I think the 4.6K 120fps upgrade is pretty nice, and 300fps 1080p is approaching RED territory of slow motion.

From what it sounds like, this is the first time Blackmagic has ever put real blackshading features in their cameras.
    Last edited by Savannah Miller; 03-05-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post

From what it sounds like, this is the first time Blackmagic has ever put real blackshading features in their cameras.
    Depends which BMD sensor is being used.

Most BMD cameras use the same black shading approach that Arriflex use.

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

I think the 4.6K 120fps upgrade is pretty nice, and 300fps 1080p is approaching RED territory of slow motion.
    They are actually surpassing (in fps at the same resolution) RED camera's in the slow-mo territory.

Even more important is the faster sensor read-out, hence better rolling shutter performance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Depends which BMD sensor is being used.

Most BMD cameras use the same black shading approach that Arriflex use.

JB
    You are right. This is the first time though that they've included it in the cameras, which makes me wonder if heat is more of an issue when doing 300fps so they felt it was necessary.

What I'm waiting for is resolve 16 at NAB this year. They have managed to blow me away two years in a row now.

You are right. This is the first time though that they've included it in the cameras,
    No.

They’ve had a sensor calibration function for some time, introduced maybe 18 months ago. It’s labelled “black shading” but it’s more of a gain calibration in the blacks to reduce an offset that can develop over time.

They have just introduced pixel mapping with the p4k. Maybe you mean that ? That’s a different function to black shading.

It’s also specific to the sensor in the p4k.

which makes me wonder if heat is more of an issue when doing 300fps so they felt it was necessary.
    BMD cameras, like Arri, do a solid state cooling and have always been very good at it.

But getting the clock speed up and being able to move all that data around at those rates with a faster integration time requires a substantial processing bump.

I doubt it will cause cooling issues (and it hasn’t so far)

The pixel remap function is only in the lower frame rate P4K

JB
    John Brawley
    Cinematographer
    London UK
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    They are actually surpassing (in fps at the same resolution) RED camera's in the slow-mo territory.

Even more important is the faster sensor read-out, hence better rolling shutter performance.
    Agreed
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

It's a good move. Now they just have to solve the delivering issue, as well as the support. It seems to be the usual thing nowadays ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    No.

They’ve had a sensor calibration function for some time, introduced maybe 18 months ago. It’s labelled “black shading” but it’s more of a gain calibration in the blacks to reduce an offset that can develop over time.

They have just introduced pixel mapping with the p4k. Maybe you mean that ? That’s a different function to black shading.

It’s also specific to the sensor in the p4k.

BMD cameras, like Arri, do a solid state cooling and have always been very good at it.

But getting the clock speed up and being able to move all that data around at those rates with a faster integration time requires a substantial processing bump.

I doubt it will cause cooling issues (and it hasn’t so far)

The pixel remap function is only in the lower frame rate P4K

JB
    I could be wrong but in their ad for the new Ursa Mini Pro G2, they say their camera has "black shading." Maybe it's the same feature, but they have never referred to it as black shading before? Maybe it's the same thing as Fusion claiming to have "deep" compositing when everyone assumes deep compositing means true deep data.