Thread: Jacob's Ladder: A Late Introduction

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Benoit,

Thanks, will definitely download the powergrade! Yeah, trying to wrap my head around this. Your grades on your site look great!!

Benoit,

Here's the First grade with your Powergrade I call "Benoit Blue" Thanks!!

Benoit,

A man after my own heart, that's very cool.

Have you ever messed with white balancing to a specific colour (not white), grading then white balancing back? It's something i've done within Nuke, you can preserve a colour this way and grade around it then reverse it - i don't know if it can be done in Resolve but from your site you're probably the guy to try it! It could be within Resolve that there are more direct ways of doing this but i found the results in my use case better than trying to isolate via keys. This was a while back though but it's always stuck with me as a neat trick.

cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Benoit Cote View Post
    Thanks for your input!

I think you are right and I should have said that it wasn’t for beginners. I recommended them to read Dan Margulis’ book first but maybe I should have warned them of potential issues.

On the other hand, it would have been a real downer if I had stated every possible “danger” of using LAB before introducing the technique.

I first heard about LAB color space in photography school about 15 years ago. I remember my teacher talking about it like it was a weird and dangerous thing. In the end, his statements kept me from trying it and delayed a lot of great discoveries. I’m afraid your words might do the same for others.

Truth is, a lot of great colorists use LAB on a daily basis.

Let’s just keep everything in mind.

Great surgeons do surgery on a daily basis. :)

I just recently had a request for fixing someone's slap-up job.
    Yes, keeping everything in mind was exactly the point...
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    \Have you ever messed with white balancing to a specific colour (not white), grading then white balancing back? It's something i've done within Nuke, you can preserve a colour this way and grade around it then reverse it - i don't know if it can be done in Resolve but from your site you're probably the guy to try it! It could be within Resolve that there are more direct ways of doing this but i found the results in my use case better than trying to isolate via keys.
    Layer mixers, parallel nodes, and in some cases key mixers can help with problem situations like this: for example, a scene that you're heavily tinting in one direction, but you want to keep the faces a little more towards normal by using the original skintone prior to the tint. And that only requires maybe 3-4 nodes at most. There are a lot of ways to approach this problem, with the methods often dictated by available time.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

i use L*a*b on every shot, i agree with Hrvoje that one CAN create massive math errors with it, and i agree with Benoit that the advantages far outweigh the disavantages... caution, common sense, an eye on the scopes, and testing on a ramp before useing should be a minimum entry point

L*a*b and ACES are good combo for me, i've got maybe five years of this under my belt now, typicaly working on indie features & shorts with some commericals and TV series.. i find the curves approach to be a bit combersome for TV, need to move really fast there, and works well in commericals where i can futz around on my own, and save versions for presentation when clients are in the room

i use L*a*b with the control surface for TV and Film, it's bit more limited choices, and less targeted to regions, but much faster, some days that's the better option ;-)

Benoit's offer of a free download is well worth takeing on, and a donation to a needed cause is also worth considering ;-)

Another grade with Jacob's ladder

nice Rand,
    it's pretty cool what you can get done in L*a*b
    and with out going through masks & keys to get there

Thanks a lot Dermot, I appreciate it man! Yeah, I'm trying to ween myself away from power windows and qualifying as much as I can. I want to stick to a primary only workflow as much as I can. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "Jacob's ladder" method and the "LAB" workflow in general. Just trying to get a little better at it
    Last edited by rand thompson; 03-11-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Here's an ACES to LAB to ACES grade. Let me know if I fucked something up.

With these Settings in the "Color Management" Tab

Last edited by rand thompson; 03-11-2019 at 11:50 PM.