Thread: Full width 16:9 format addition- for Gemini!

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Full width 16:9 format addition- for Gemini! 
    Hi Red Team,

Could you add a format option in the next firmware for Gemini? Since Gemini's sensor is taller than previous 5K sensors in red's past, there's room for a full width 16:9 format. If my math is correct, there's room for a 5120x2880 format that uses a few more pixels than the traditional 4800x2700 16:9 options. While I'm confident that I could just shoot in the new 5K 1.7:1 format, and then just crop out the extra pixels... 16:9 is such a common and standard aspect ratio it could be a valuable option to alleviate that post-prod cropping work for many WYSIWYG shoots.

Just a thought!
    -Eric
    Scarlet-X #293 => Epic-X #6588 => Dragonified => DSMC2 Gemini!

Yeah I tend to just shoot in the full 5k 1.7:1 with no squeeze and get a little room for re-cropping.

Would definitely make more sense for the "5K HD" format to be a full 5120x2880 like you mentioned though to match the standard 5K 16:9 display resolution. I wish they would re-label all of the "HD" (16:9) formats to just 16:9. They already do 2:1 labels so would make a lot more sense to just use 16:9 as well I think. Just always list the aspect ratio instead of "HD" "WS" and so on as that doesn't really make sense.

I put in a feature request here: https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/com...emini-cameras-
    Last edited by andrewhake; 03-07-2019 at 10:45 PM.

+1 for the new format.. if it comes with more fps

We already shoot full width for 16:9 but obviously need to crop a bit of height afterwards... the advatage of it being a proper mode would be the extra FPS possibility!

+1

Great idea! I dont see any reason 16:9 should use as much of the sensor as possible?

Back in the days I think it was a mathematic reason, but dont know if that matters any more with the prossessing power we see today.
    I also could be remembering that wrong.

There might be a math/matrices/column-row issue preventing it... Or at least there was on Dragon 6k; instead of using the full height at 5618x3160 for 6k HD mode, it was "only" 5568x3132 (granted that's only 50x28pixels, but I mean, it's an extra 0.14mp surface area, so I'd take it.)
    Last edited by Mike P.; 03-11-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Speaking for post people: I personally would always rather people shoot a larger frame and then crop to the smaller delivery aspect ratio in post, just to give us room to reposition and reframe when necessary. I honestly don't like it when people shoot the exact same aspect ratio as the release format, because then it involves scaling and the resultant artifacts. If you specifically shoot with cropping in mind, it's actually much more efficient and the math works a lot better. It's also better for VFX people when they need to stabilize shots for background replacement and similar issues.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer