Thread: Film Making Masterclass with Final Cut Pro X

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Film Making Masterclass with Final Cut Pro X 
    Film Making Masterclass with Final Cut Pro X

By Guildhall School of Music & Drama

A Film Making Masterclass from Soho Editors, partners of Guildhall's Electronic Music Department, in Apple’s award-winning film editing software, Final Cut Pro X.

Hosted by Film Director John Williams, who takes you through a complete workflow, from initial concept to final colour grading. See an expert at work as John covers topics including direction, shooting and editing, followed by a quick behind the scenes presentation on the ‘making of the day’, including footage captured during the Film Scoring Masterclass - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XkB...

Find out more about Electronic Music at the Guildhall School at: https://www.gsmd.ac.uk/music/principa...

Take an Evening Class in Logic Pro X at Guildhall in 2019, with Beginners and Advanced courses offered: http://bit.ly/2RyilTO

It's definitely a good program Rand, cheap too.
    The logging and keyword capability is just brillant for larger documentaries - where storyboards are often not as clear.

I am just waiting for it to cope with 'in camera' ProRes files that can easily reconnect with the original R3D.
    Then it will be outstanding.

William,

I used Avid Media Composer for many years, Now, only Davinci Resolve. I purchased Final Cut Studio with all its apps I think around 2007 or 2008 just as an alternative to have around along with Media Composer. Long story short, I just could never really love it as much as I did Media Composer.

I'm not using a Mac anymore so its Windows based apps for me from now on. However, I see a lot of members here who swear by Final Cut Pro X, and when I saw this Master Class for Final Cut Pro X, it really interested me. So I just thought it would interest Avid Final Cut Pro users even more.

Are you using One Of The "Red Apple Workflow Installers"? either version 13.0.0 or the 14.0.0 Beta to see if that may help with your problem?

https://www.red.com/downloads/option...ternalId=16135

Hi Rand,
    Thanks for replying. I haven't used either of these installers and perhaps I should?
    Our 90 minute documentary project spans 1-2 years and I normally shoot simultaneously 5K (8:1) R3D and 422 ProRes HQ in camera.
    The latter is really useful for quick access to dailies which we normally view immediately after logging/backup. It's a lot of material and this is where FCPX is outstanding when it comes to logging and cross referencing. It has never been easier to find 'that shot'.

However, I am the first to admit that I am not particularly technical; our workflow consists of an offline 2K edit (iMacPro) and then linking back to the original R3D for online finish. What is not clear to me, as yet, is the best way to 'reconnect' in-camera-ProRes that you use in the edit back to the original RAW files?
    Apple doesn't seem to have a clear path for this as yet. FCPX assumes you generate ProRes within the program from R3D files. We don't do that.

Of course I might just be out and 'cycling' but any suggestions/advice would be most welcome. Cheers!

William,

Unfortunately, I neither have a Red Cinema Camera or Final Cut Pro X. I'll look Around to see what I can find. Maybe until then, Another reduser who has a solid FCPX /Red workflow will chime in.

William,

Here is something from 2015 so....hopefully it can of help until I can find something else.

Thanks for this thread Rand. It's a good addition to the very useful Resolve thread you created.

FCP X has an active user base and a bit of content dedicated to learning the program.
    The third party support is perhaps the best around for any of the current NLEs and even bigger than the Final Cut Pro classic days.

Ripple training recently started a Live weekly Youtube show that discusses features, techniques, and news regarding FCP X, Compressor, and Motion. Well produced show with very knowledgeable hosts in Steven Martin and Mark Spencer.

NOTE VIDEO STARTS AT AROUND 3:12.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

Brian,

Thanks!

Thanks Rand. Yes, I have seen that clip before but it was good to look again. However, his ProRes files are generated within FCPX and stored locally in that library.

What will be nice to discover is how in-camera-ProRes files that are committed to the FCPX edit can be 'relinked' to external R3D files? What is the best pathway? We shall find out! :))

Here are a few more tutorials from Soho Editors. Thomas Grove Carter's work is especially good.

https://vimeo.com/channels/1215220/194855528

Thanks for the link to the tutorials William!