Thread: Slit-Scan Aerial Photography - 8K VV

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Slit-Scan Aerial Photography - 8K VV 
    A quick one to share with you all this Thursday. This certainly classifies as "weird things I do with RED cameras".

The process of creating Slit-Scan images captivated me when I was younger, which led to many years of tinkering and deploying the technique on film projects on the VFX photography side of things. With a still or motion image you capture a single moment in time and space in every frame, however through the process of Slit-Scan you can manipulate time and space to present multiple moments in a single image. There are a variety of ways to achieve this and with digital even crazy morphing shapes are possible. Filmmakers like Hitchcock, Kubrick, and even as recently as Nolan have all tapped into the effect for films like Vertigo, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Interstellar. Along my personal journey I've done a few firsts with the technique, my personal favorite was the Crystal Skull Anamorphic Slit-Scan as the anamorphic concept pairs well will the distorting nature of this technique, at least in my mad scientist brain. Lately, as so much of my work has been long form shot based, I've been developing some of my favorite aerial shots into both still and motion Slit-Scans. This here is one of my favorite takes over Los Angeles, which is several minute long shot filmed in large format VistaVision 8K resolution. The resulting still image is about 10K by 8K due to shot length and frame rate.

Two additional ones from LA and NY.

While this borders on the fringe of any sort of image making, especially from the air, it does provide a surreal perspective that is unique and rather peculiar. From a filmmaking perspective, I imagine the whole shot and it's rather odd to see an entire one all at once, though in this case one pixel line of every frame filmed.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil,

Always pushing the Limits! The first image looks like something Salvador Dali would have made. The Daytime shot of LA looks like a Circuit Board full of Transistors

When I fly over LA drunk as a skunk, I see DTLA like this.

Very nice images and I kinda like it. Thanks Phil.

Thank you so much for sharing!!! To my eye, starting with that much image data takes it to another level - clear saturated colors AND spatial resolution - WOW.

All of us in the Mad Scientists Society salute you ;-)

Cheers - #19

After all these years of living in the Big Apple, I just realized why I like LA so much. It's the Big Pineapple.

Funny thing about slit scan images, they can often produce something very organic looking... maybe it is a Golden Ratio thing.

Beautiful stills, looking forward to some motion images.
    S-W #6350 "Moonshot"

Seeing a slit scan from this Arial view reminds me of inception.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Thanks guys. If all goes well, I'll have something or two or three spicy things done before NAB on the visual front. Maybe or maybe not related to this chaos.

I'm real fond of the LA shot as the taller buildings get more and more distorted the higher they are. I haven't released that full shot yet, but it's part of my Twilight Over LA piece. I've got a few handfuls of favorite aerial shots ever and it's one of them. Much of the work for Apple, Samsung, LG, and others has been finding compositions that hold for a really long time, essentially long form work. It's a great challenge. Interestingly it's something I'm looking to explore back on the ground and I've been tinkering on that front.

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This is pretty sick Phil! That NYC color screams to be printed.
    Clearly I need to do more "weird things ... with RED cameras"!
    JUSTINOGRAPHY
    2x RED MONSTRO 8K
    1x RED Epic-W 8K
    Demo Reel

Phil I need to discuss this more with you. I am on a plane back from NYC to LA and I have an idea thanks to you about my Clifford aerials in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Phil I need to discuss this more with you. I am on a plane back from NYC to LA and I have an idea thanks to you about my Clifford aerials in NYC
    I'm a phone call away once you land sir.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon