Thread: Maintaining Frame Extraction In Resolve - Question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Maintaining Frame Extraction In Resolve - Question 
    So i have been using the 'active frame' modes on the camera to be able to do a 2.4:1 center extraction at 90-95% so i can add post stabilization if needed, move the frame around etc. The set up for it is actually outlined in the DSMC2 setup video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3-8fgHU56k

When i get into resolve i can add safe area frame guides, but does anyone know how i actually extract the center of the image as set up in camera? Searching around has not led to any solutions, i feel as if i am not using the correct terminilogy to find it.

Thanks

Jon
    JONATHAN PEARS
    Cinematographer
    www.JonPears.com

Yes, if you set that up as a custom aspect ratio. For example, if you set to render a project to 2048x858, that would be the correct extraction size for a 2K 2.39 scope frame. (Note that it's 2.39 and not 2.40, though I generally deliver 2.40 letterbox for home video because then the pixel count is the same top and bottom for blanking.)

If you're shooting a larger frame on set, my advice is always to shoot a framing chart so that the post department understands what the ultimate extraction frame size should be, and that way the editor, the VFX people, and the final color staff are all on the same page as the camera department. Without that framing chart, it's a bit of guesswork.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks for the response.

I may be misinterpreting your reply, but what i am looking to do is to tell resolve that i want a center extraction at a certain resolution and aspect ratio. In premiere you can set your timeline ratio and resolution, and then simply move the clip around in that space and extract what you want. is this possible in resolve? So its less the export, and its more the timeline ration and resolution, and clips in the timeline stay at their native resolution for me to position, stabilize etc, all without losing my frame.

They show the technique being used here: https://vimeo.com/248235757 at around 15:30 in the clip.

Even if i were to only do this when exporting, what do i need to tell resolve to do for it to be able to know that i want a center extraction at a certain ratio and resolution?

Hope that adds more context to what i am looking for.

Thanks
    JONATHAN PEARS
    Cinematographer
    www.JonPears.com

I have the same problem and have not resolved it for now. Somebody knows?
    Thanks by advance

In project settings, set the input scaling to "center crop with no resizing", so Resolve will not do any automatic scaling.

Then you need to calculate the correct scaling ratio - for example you have shot with 5k center extraction, and you have hd timeline: 1920/5120 = 0.375

That scaling ratio can then be used in many places in Resolve, there's "zoom" in the edit page, input sizing, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by jussi rovanpera View Post
    In project settings, set the input scaling to "center crop with no resizing", so Resolve will not do any automatic scaling. Then you need to calculate the correct scaling ratio - for example you have shot with 5k center extraction, and you have hd timeline: 1920/5120 = 0.375. That scaling ratio can then be used in many places in Resolve, there's "zoom" in the edit page, input sizing, etc...
    Note that you don't have to do any scaling at all if you frame the camera correctly... with a framing chart (as I said earlier).
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer