Thread: Captain Marvel on Dolby Cinema

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Captain Marvel on Dolby Cinema 
    If this is the wrong place to post feel free to correct me.

So I went to see Captain Marvel yesterday on a Dolby Cinema Projection. The Audio was incredible as always.
    The Red Monstro VV, the Panavision DXL, which uses the same sensor, were both used to shoot this film. Not to mention the Alexa 65. So it was a large format bonanza. I had some expectations going in.

I have not been to the cinema in months and have had a large amount of time looking at an extra bright Vizio quantum p UHD television. This is Vizios flagship TV from last year that supports Dolby vision. This TV is also what I use to review the Red footage I shoot.
    Dont judge I like to look at everything on a larger monitor and I can't afford a color calibrated professional solution yet. Anyways to make up for it's less than stellar blacks the TV gets pretty bright to get that great HDR contrast. Now back to Captain Marvel...the film felt DIM!
    Like REALLY DARK. Seemed to lack contrast in many scenes but that's something Marvel films are like sometimes, they look washed out. What I want to know is if this is something I am experiencing because of looking at a bright screen for so long or if anyone else got the same
    thing i did? It's not like this is supposed to be a dark film. It just felt like someone made the projection dimmer. I know that Cinema screens dont get as bright but the contrast is made up in the blacks. I gotta say to me the film looked SDR...Can someone explain the technical stuff here? Has anyone else felt the same thing? the cameras used are capable of so much more and paying 18 bucks for the premium experience felt underwhelming here. I don't know. Let me know what you guys think. Please keep the conversation relative to the films look. I know the movie in other aspects wasn't the best.

The higher the peak brightness, the more likely it is that stray light will pollute the blacks. Tremendous respect for what Dolby is doing, but current projection/screen technology is DR limited by physics. To get legit HDR in a theatrical setting might require other solutions...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Andriy Trofymenko View Post
    So I went to see Captain Marvel yesterday on a Dolby Cinema Projection. The Audio was incredible as always.
    The Red Monstro VV, the Panavision DXL, which uses the same sensor, were both used to shoot this film. Not to mention the Alexa 65. .
    The vast majority of the picture was shot with the A65. The Monstro was not used by the main unit, it was primarily plates and some 2nd unit. The DXL was used regularly but not as the "A" camera.

In my experience the new Dolby Theaters found in some of the AMC chains are by far the best theatrical projection available. Far surpassing any sort of standard 2K or 4K projector and definitely surpassing any film projection format in terms of brightness and contrast. What theater did you see CM in?
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    In my experience the new Dolby Theaters found in some of the AMC chains are by far the best theatrical projection available. Far surpassing any sort of standard 2K or 4K projector and definitely surpassing any film projection format in terms of brightness and contrast. What theater did you see CM in?
    It was an AMC 24 at the Neshaminy mall in PA. Perhaps it was graded that way.

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    The vast majority of the picture was shot with the A65. The Monstro was not used by the main unit, it was primarily plates and some 2nd unit. The DXL was used regularly but not as the "A" camera.
    Thanks for that info.

I am constantly disappointed by brightness in theatres. Including the AMC Dolby Vision theatres. The only times I feel it’s right is when I watch on the IMAX laser projector.

Saw Alita in Dolby, beautiful colorful bright perfect. Saw Captain Mar vell in the same theatre. Dark way too dark to the point of unregistered, ugliest film I have seen in a theater visually speaking, ever. Incredibly ugly and dark picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Saw Alita in Dolby, beautiful colorful bright perfect. Saw Captain Mar vell in the same theatre. Dark way too dark to the point of unregistered, ugliest film I have seen in a theater visually speaking, ever. Incredibly ugly and dark picture.
    THANK YOU. so it's not just me. I can't believe they screened this and approved it. It was pretty bad for sure.

It was also pretty dark at the Dolby in Aventura, FL
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography