Thread: Captain Marvel on Dolby Cinema

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fair enough Mike, the few people who have seen subpar presentations are a rounding error. That said, I still think that Dolby has skin in the game to protect their brand value - regardless of the popularity of a particular movie.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Fair enough Mike, the few people who have seen subpar presentations are a rounding error. That said, I still think that Dolby has skin in the game to protect their brand value - regardless of the popularity of a particular movie.

Cheers - #19
    I don't disagree, but I think they do a pretty good job when they certify an installation (assuming they have such a program). They really can't control what individual theater operators do on a daily basis, so if an operator leaves a Zscreen on the front of a projector, that's not really something I would blame Dolby for.

Whether or not Dolby "deserves" the blame, theatergoers are likely to say negative things about their Dolby experience. I am not privy to Dolby's 5 year plan or anything, but they appear to be positioning themselves as the premium theater experience brand. If that's the case, and I'm Dolby, then I'd take a serious look at how to prevent any showing from being subpar. As the adage goes, one bad review does more damage than 10 positive ones can undo.

Or perhaps I'm just angling to be a traveling QC guy for Dolby... ;-)

Cheers - #19

I work for the company that makes and repairs the projectors for Dolby Cinema. Every time I watch a movie at a Dolby cinema I am impressed. Even more when I am up in the projection booth with the whole set up. It is sad to hear someone having a subpar experience. The projectors are monitored and checked on, but things can go wrong from time to time when so many are spread out. At least we don’t burn through film anymore. Anyone going to NAB? We will have some stuff on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Davis View Post
    I work for the company that makes and repairs the projectors for Dolby Cinema. Every time I watch a movie at a Dolby cinema I am impressed. Even more when I am up in the projection booth with the whole set up. It is sad to hear someone having a subpar experience. The projectors are monitored and checked on, but things can go wrong from time to time when so many are spread out. At least we don’t burn through film anymore. Anyone going to NAB? We will have some stuff on display.
    I'd be curious what protocols are employed to monitor and check on the projectors? In my head, I imagine a "spy" cam in every projection booth that could be accessed by a QC person at Dolby HQ to spot issues like what the OP experienced. Don't know of that's a viable scheme, but some real time feedback loop that would trigger action by Dolby to address subpar experiences - no matter how spread out the projector fleet might be - would seem to be worth the squeeze.

Cheers - #19

The projector themselves report back automatically any errors that come up. Processing, laser modulas, cooling.... We also have remote access to each one. Putting a camera that can stream an image from inside of a theater facing the screen, I couldn’t imagine the complications to get approval for that.

I guess I could never really get a good explanation for my experience. Everyone is giving different reasons some that contradict. I've forgotten about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andriy Trofymenko View Post
    I guess I could never really get a good explanation for my experience. Everyone is giving different reasons some that contradict. I've forgotten about it now.

Please make sure you report the experience to amc. If there is a problem, that will get it fixed. Follow up with them and I am sure you’ll get a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Davis View Post
    The projector themselves report back automatically any errors that come up. Processing, laser modulas, cooling.... We also have remote access to each one. Putting a camera that can stream an image from inside of a theater facing the screen, I couldn’t imagine the complications to get approval for that.
    The camera could be 1 still frame per minute, as long as you can see focus/geometry/contrast ratios/etc. I realize that anything capable of pirating a feature is a non-starter. IAC, since we no longer have union projectionists in every multiplex, if I were Dolby I'd want some way to verify the quality of exhibition that has their brand on it.

Cheers - #19