Thread: Zoom to match Arri Signature Primes?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Zoom to match Arri Signature Primes? 
    Hey guys, I'm about to start a show using Signature Primes, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a zoom that could somewhat match. We only have a few specialty zoom shots planned, but I want the image to match as best as possible. We're fine using the S35 to LF expander--so whatever zooms come to mind for S35 are fine! We have done a test with the Signature Primes, but I don't have a ton of experience with zoom lenses to begin with so I'm not the best judge on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth C Merrill View Post
    Hey guys, I'm about to start a show using Signature Primes, and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a zoom that could somewhat match. We only have a few specialty zoom shots planned, but I want the image to match as best as possible. We're fine using the S35 to LF expander--so whatever zooms come to mind for S35 are fine! We have done a test with the Signature Primes, but I don't have a ton of experience with zoom lenses to begin with so I'm not the best judge on this one.
    I'm guessing the Zeiss Cinema Zooms are the way to go? They are FF, and probably "in the family" look-wise:

https://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/...om-lenses.html
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

My guess that anything matching Ultra Primes will pretty much match Signatures after T/2.8. Before T/2.8 watch for bokeh.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/si...peepers-guide/

What kind of range do you want?

I have signatures here and I think Optimo is the way i’d go (not Ez) ... if it lines up FL wise that is.

What camera you shooting?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    What kind of range do you want?

I have signatures here and I think Optimo is the way i’d go (not Ez) ... if it lines up FL wise that is.

What camera you shooting?
    Yeah based on some research I did today, I think the 17-80mm Optimo might be our best bet. Wish it had another 20mm at the long end, but we can probably make do.

We're shooting on the Alexa LF.

I am sure you will test the 18-80 with the coverage extender... From memory the 18-80 was quite tight and the Optimo 19.5‑94 was the image circle healthy replacement (though still not in LF open gate territory).. Are you shooting open gate?

I know the short Optimos quite well and they are super high res but not too contrasty (quite smooth) which seems to be the basic design criteria for the Signatures... From my faded memory the 18-80 was similar.

Good luck with project!

PS Interestinglly even though the Signatires are lovely on the LF I actually feel the Signatures are an even more perfect match for Red's Monstro (Red's chips really respond well to CA free, super high res, but really very smooth optics) but there is very little enthusium for them on this list...
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram