Thread: Batch convert audio channels?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Batch convert audio channels? 
    I have projects with multiple films in it where I got two actors with two microphones. Both actors are recorded to a stereo track with one actor placed to the right and the other to left.

When I import this to Davinci it will not come in as I like…

I wish to split the stereo track into two mono channels. Each mono channel should be centered (not just left or right channel).

I failed to splitt Stereo channels into two mono tracks. But I have success in using two stereo channels. Im not sure if this is the correct way to do this but the goal was to take actor from the left track and the actor on the right track, put them on individual tracks while at the same time center them (I dont want to hear one actor one speaker and the other in the other).

1 stereo channel
    Left: Left track
    Right: Left track

2 Stereo track
    Left: Right track
    Right: Right track

Is this a proper way to do this?

Also It seams you cant change this on clips that is already in the timeline? Is this correct?

How to you batch convert this? I have serval days of footage like this in this project?

This might be connected with my other post where Davinci screws up the audio when its imported using xml. But in the xml the audio channels is setup correctly already in adobe premiere.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I learned on the BMD forum about the "Stereo fixer effect" and that works great to fix stereo tracks. The only thing i would like to change is the ability to se both the left and right audio channel on individualy on the edit page like you do on the fairlight page.

I can achive this by selecting the a clip in the media pool and choose the clip attribute editor. In there I can add another stereo channel. In stereo channel one I put the right channel on both left and right. On the second (the added) stereo channel I put the left channel on both left and right.

When I do it like this I can view both the left and the right channel seperatly on the edit page and at the same time having both left and the right channel centered.

Is this a bad way of doing it? or is it equally good as using the fix stereo effect?

The only problem with this way that I found is how to do this on multiple clips.

Edit:
    You can actually select a full bin of clips in the media pool and convert them as you like.
    But if you made a cut already and for some reason want to re edit it. How do you switch out the audio on the timeline with the same clips from the media pool that now have the updated audio channel settings?

Also, I guess that the solution to use two stereo tracks to solve this problem is a bad soultion as you get 4 tracks (even thoe you only se two if youre not viewing it in the source monitor). Does this take more processing the say usning one stereo track with the "fix stereo effect"?

One thing that is really annoying is that there is an option to "display individual audio channels" on the media page. Soo close, so close!
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Ok I think i found the better solution for this.

Before you start to edit. Go in in the media pool and change select all clips. Then you go in to the "clip attribute" of any of the selected clips. Change the stereo channel you got to a mono channel. Add another mono channel. Now Select the left audio in the first mono track and then the right in the second mono channel.

Create you timeline and for the two audio tracks you want to occupy with the audio, you change those tracks from stereo to mono. By doing this you audio will be sent to both your speakers instead of having one person in left speaker and the other in the right speaker.

Its a pity you cant change all settings in the attribute editor in the timeline. How could you get the updated audio channels from the media pool into youre timeline? If you made a full cut, you cant just delete your time line and drag all clips from the media pool down to the timeline.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069