Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Monstro: High ISO grid pattern

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    If there's a repetitive grid chances are it's a downsampling issue. What tool did you use to downsample the Monster 8k down??

Graeme
    Downsampling in Resolve - is there any way to improve the quality? What tool provides the best downsampling results?

Here are the scaling settings - they shouldn't have changed from the factory settings:

Thanks!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    timsessler.com & brooklynaerials.com | RED Monstro 8K VV

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Yes what is your monitor resolution. If you look at the file on a small screen quicktime will do a real time down sample that is not the best.
    Traveling right now - so just on a 2.8K MBP. But have seen the same a home on the 5K iMac screen.

Cheers!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sessler View Post
    Traveling right now - so just on a 2.8K MBP. But have seen the same a home on the 5K iMac screen.

Cheers!
    That sounds like a bad mix. If you scale down UHD to 2.8k realtime shit will simply not look correct. then it line skipping involved playback. And of course also important to have a good downscale algorithm going in resolve or what ever is used. to go from 8k and down. But yes deep in the dark there is a static patter in all sensors.

What you can look into to help it is Blackshading, downscaling algorithms and of-course noise reduction. Normally I remove the heavy noise if there is such and then apply a fine noise that match the less noisy scenes.

But yes your clip here looks really blocky. Dont know why that is. an r3d would tell more.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

I just did a whole Blackshade test at different temperatures from 38 going up to 42. Somehow 39 and 41 looked A LOT batter than 38, 40 and 42.

Also here are R3D and Tiff pulls from each calibration: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5aovry30a...M5l3WLNra?dl=0

I just did a whole Blackshade test at different temperatures from 38 going up to 42. Somehow 39 and 41 looked A LOT batter than 38, 40 and 42.

Also here are R3D and Tiff pulls from each calibration: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5aovry30a...M5l3WLNra?dl=0
    Wow! Great test!
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Nice! I rock 44 on my Helium and it's worked out great for me. Finding your temp can be super helpful.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

7.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #17  
    So yes, I found this the other day with some material I'd shot and the Resolve downsample was sub-optimal. When I looked at my R3Ds there was no regular grid pattern. But... downsampling is Resolve made that pattern appear, no doubt aliasing created as the noise floor goes through a downsample filter. If it were FPN, you'd see it as vertical lines only and no evenly spaced. It would not look like a grid. What I saw was a perfectly even grid. This is what poor downsampling looks like. As for what can you do in Resolve - I'll leave that to the Resolve experts and I want to hear the answer too.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Or you can just down-sample it with a superior Scaling-Algorithm inside of Redcine-X to go from a .R3D raw file to create an Avid DNxHR or Pro-Res 4444 compressed file for a better looking image imported inside of Resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    So yes, I found this the other day with some material I'd shot and the Resolve downsample was sub-optimal. When I looked at my R3Ds there was no regular grid pattern. But... downsampling is Resolve made that pattern appear, no doubt aliasing created as the noise floor goes through a downsample filter. If it were FPN, you'd see it as vertical lines only and no evenly spaced. It would not look like a grid. What I saw was a perfectly even grid. This is what poor downsampling looks like. As for what can you do in Resolve - I'll leave that to the Resolve experts and I want to hear the answer too.

Graeme
    Put image scaling to "smoother" instead of default "sharper" would probably be a good start, and ofcourse red debarring to full res premium 16 bit. Also I guess using a pipeline not using the ipp2 luts but IPP2 in timeline would help aswell.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Any chance you did this test with Dragon (and even MX) as well? This is a can of worms that seems like a bit of a nightmare to have to test... Especially since the sensor temp isn't what is controlled by the temp control under fan settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKechnie View Post
    Wow! Great test!
    Great test, but also a giant pain in the ass... Like it could be different per camera, and those results vary quite substantially for such a small shift in temp.

EDIT: Bjorn clears this up on the next page. Spoiler alert: the differences are actually less drastic/dramatic when each BStemp chip is adjusted to the same brightness. Seems within typical blackshade variances.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 04-02-2019 at 03:26 PM.