Thread: SmallHD Cine 7 - On-Camera Monitor with ARRI Camera Control (RED & Sony Coming Soon)

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    2 months still no replacement. said their next batch went to vendors first. gotta wait for their next batch. smh.

Been using minec(touch not cine) on every shoot since. It's held up pretty well but it does get f#*king hot.

Quote Originally Posted by darren scott View Post
    Been using minec(touch not cine) on every shoot since. It's held up pretty well but it does get f#*king hot.
    This I keep hearing from folks. I know one company that just got one of these and they're scared to keep running it because of how hot it gets. We're talking air conditioned studio, not even on location in the sun. Has anyone heard or seen anything from SmallHD regarding this? Is this normal for these monitors?
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    This I keep hearing from folks. I know one company that just got one of these and they're scared to keep running it because of how hot it gets. We're talking air conditioned studio, not even on location in the sun. Has anyone heard or seen anything from SmallHD regarding this? Is this normal for these monitors?
    I'm guessing it's because the body itself is the heatsink as you can see from the design on the back of the unit. However I have been running it all day on 4 day shoots in Jamaican hot tropical sun and it hasn't missed a beat. Hasn't shut down or anything. But my goodness... It will burn you if you are not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by darren scott View Post
    I'm guessing it's because the body itself is the heatsink as you can see from the design on the back of the unit. However I have been running it all day on 4 day shoots in Jamaican hot tropical sun and it hasn't missed a beat. Hasn't shut down or anything. But my goodness... It will burn you if you are not careful.
    Yeah that's definitely a concern. Maybe someone will design a sort of border case...but that heat has to go somewhere.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    Yeah that's definitely a concern. Maybe someone will design a sort of border case...but that heat has to go somewhere.
    And I have the touch, not the Cine 7...which is even brighter....so it possibly runs hotter at full brightness.

Looks like the update for RED cameras is now available (for a $500 upgrade kit fee, currently free for limited time with new purchases):

https://store.smallhd.com/products/Cine-7

I ordered one. Used it very briefly on a snow shoot. It was a pretty good image. Still need to find a sunshade for it though....
    Also, a bit of a pain swiping through the pages. Have to take gloves off, as it's not very responsive. Even with the touchscreen compatible gloves that the AC's wear.

On the second job I was using it on, it just stopped working in the middle of a take. Powered via the lemo.

We put a Sony batt on the back, but one of the battery tabs broke off. Battery still worked, but, it was not locked into place.

So, back to the dealer.... over a month later I finally have some follow up.

"REPLACED MAIN BOARD FUSE AND REPAIRED MAIN BOARD. REPLACED BATTERY LATCH. UPDATED FIRMWARE AND TESTED."

Gotta say, pretty unimpressed that it has taken this long to even get looked at, and still not returned.
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.benruffell.com