Thread: Two new pro sound recorders announced: Zaxcom Nova ($5K)& Sound Devices Scorpio ($9K)

Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Zaxcom Tutorials Episode 300 - Auto-Pick Frequencies / Audition and Re-Record

The actual info in the video is between 2:38 and the 5:17 mark everything else is just a bullshit bad skit.

By Zaxcom Inc

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Introducing NoiseAssist - the Noise Suppression Plugin for 8-Series
    At US$600 (for its "introductory price" too!!) this is waaaaaaay overpriced.

They're setting a record here in charging for a firmware update / plugin / whatchamacallit. (yes, even beating out Aaton by a nose)

Which I feel is worthwhile highlighting, as it signals a radical change in business strategy by Sound Devices. (although, like I said, perhaps not a total surprise after all, as their MixPre series could've been a clue)

As in the past you'd buy a recorder (such as say a Sound Devices 688) and over the years of its life cycle, Sound Devices would keep their product relevant and keep the sales up (and also build up a loyal fanbase of their existing customers, who thus serve as great marketing tool to promote the product) by releasing new cool updates / bonuses / accessories to it.

Other companies would approach it with a different business strategy, for instance Tascam would go with the strategy of slashing the price of its products later on their life cycle. (look at how much cheaper the Tascam HS-P82 was at launch vs at the end when they discontinued it, or at the opposite extreme the Tascam DR60D at launch vs on sale)

So it seems Sound Devices has shifted to a new strategy, in which they sell us hardware as the gateway drug to then keep on upselling us with new software purchases being offered.

With hindsight, if I'd known that a Sound Devices 833 is buying into an ecosystem with a series of $600 paid firmware updates, then I'm not sure if an 833 would've made as much sense at all.

Something to be aware of if anybody is considering buying into Sound Devices, it seems the Sound Devices of the future is no longer the Sound Devices of the past.

As one other sound mixer said in response to this news: "I just feel like they've opened pandora's box. I'm disappointed"

Where will it end, are we going to get charged for 32bits? Charged for ambisonics? Charged to unlock all the features with the new SL-2? Did we dodge a bullet that the EQ firmware update wasn't instead a paid plugin?? Etc etc etc.... heck, by the end of its 5 year life cycle are we going to have ended up spending more on firmware upgrades than on the recorder itself????

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Zaxcom Tutorials Episode 300 - Auto-Pick Frequencies / Audition and Re-Record
    The actual info in the video is between 2:38 and the 5:17 mark everything else is just a bullshit bad skit.
    "Bullshit"?? I think you made a typo, and meant to spell "AMAZINGLY"

"Bad"??? I think you made a typo, and meant to spell "HILARIOUS"

But perhaps you need to be working in the Sound Department yourself to appreciate just how spot on Zaxcom is with these series of videos.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

David,

Maybe they should have stuck to the Sound Department. One person's "Amazingly Hilarious " is another person's " Bullshit Bad". To each his own.

Here is a video not directly related to any of the recorders in this thread but about remote recording.

Remote Recording for The Artist: Perfecting Audio with Keith Alexander

By Adorama

CL-16 Training with Paul

By Sound Devices

It is 2 hours and 8 minutes long.

Virtual Broadcast Audio Convention 2020: Zaxcom

By Gotham Sound

Hello,

Here you have another great review of sound stuff with the Sound Summit 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1iUbxfJmQQ&t=4112s

And a great clip from Sonosax about "1917" sound mixing of the Oscar winning Stuart Wilson doing his job on set!

Pat

Thanks for the Video Patrick!

Sound Devices NoiseAssist Demonstration - Reduce Noise While Recording

By Curtis Judd