Thread: Two new pro sound recorders announced: Zaxcom Nova ($5K)& Sound Devices Scorpio ($9K)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Sonosax makes very, very fine products as well, but to mention them in the same thread as Zoom is like talking about a Bugatti Veyron in comparison to a Kia. And I would bet Sonosax would survive a drop to concrete as well -- the build quality is extremely good. I also didn't cite Aaton, but that's a remarkably good unit.

I do completely agree that 24-bit is a very, very robust format with a vast amount of dynamic range. Assuming 8dB per bit, that'd be a potential level of 144 dB, which would basically kill you.

Yeah, but I was specifically talking about multitrack recorders. Zoom and Sound Devices are not remotely in the same category in terms of build quality and industry acceptance. I was using a MixPre back in 2000 for different things, so I'm extremely aware of what they do and why they do it. (And also how it was sold under the Shure brandname for a period of time.)

I continue to find it amazing that people will spend $40,000-$50,000 on a Red camera, god knows how much on lenses and accessories, and then bitch about having to spend 1% of that ($5000) on a great recorder/mixer. Instead, they want a $900 Zoom. Very penny-wise and pound foolish.

BTW, I was interviewed for a podcast about 2 weeks ago with a guy using a Zoom, and I'm sure it came out fine. Great for podcasts, excellent value. But I wouldn't want to use it for a 12-track mix for a Netflix show.
    It’s almost universal. I see the same thing on a fairly regular basis on another forum, but it’s usually involving tripods & heads. Someone with an expensive camera, but they want to buy a $500 Manfrotto or other ‘as cheap as they can find’ head/legs set-up.

Regardless which solution you choose, this backpack is just the coolest!

Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

If that 32bit works the way they say it will it will become the standard.

Sound Devices Scorpio In-depth Overview NAB 2019 | Post-roll & Buses Menus in 4k

By Jesse Barrios

A detailed look at the new Scorpio by Sound Devices. New features like the Post-roll and the Buses menu are highlighted in this video. A special thanks to Matt Brodnick for giving us a detailed look at the Scorpio.

-Shot on Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k
    -Recorded in BRAW 3:1
    -Metabones Speedbooster XL .64
    -Canon 24-70mm L Lens

NAB 2019: Sound Devices Scorpio

By Gotham Sound

Paul Isaacs takes Nick Huston on a journey through the featureset of the new Scorpio Recorder.

Most information on the Scorpio and pre-order here: https://www.gothamsound.com/product/s...

NAB 2019: Sound Devices Scorpio Recorder

By AbelCine

an visited the Sound Devices booth to speak with co-founder Jon Tatooles about their exciting new Scorpio recorder debuting at the show. Read more: https://www.abelcine.com/articles/blo...

NAB 2019: Zaxcom Nova

By Gotham Sound

Glenn Sanders shows off the new Zaxcom Nova Recorder to Nick Huston.

See more and pre-order here: https://gothamsound.com/product/nova-...
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    It’s almost universal. I see the same thing on a fairly regular basis on another forum, but it’s usually involving tripods & heads. Someone with an expensive camera, but they want to buy a $500 Manfrotto or other ‘as cheap as they can find’ head/legs set-up.
    Yeah, it's like seeing somebody buy a $300,000 Ferrari and then put $100 retread tires on it. I mean, jesus...

Stuff like microphones and a really great mixer and audio recorder can last you more than a decade. A great tripod can last for generations. I know a guy who was shooting standard-def Betacam in the 1990s, and he's using the same tripod and O'Conner head today for Red projects. It's not as nice and shiny as it used to be, but it still works. (And I could say the same thing about me and this DP, too.)
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Yeah, it's like seeing somebody buy a $300,000 Ferrari and then put $100 retread tires on it. I mean, jesus...

Stuff like microphones and a really great mixer and audio recorder can last you more than a decade. A great tripod can last for generations. I know a guy who was shooting standard-def Betacam in the 1990s, and he's using the same tripod and O'Conner head today for Red projects. It's not as nice and shiny as it used to be, but it still works. (And I could say the same thing about me and this DP, too.)
    Bought pair of these in '96.

Still use them:

Quality gear is worth it, especially when you look at how long it will probably last. I still have the first head that I bought, a Vinten 10LF, for my first Betacam in the 90’s. It’s not in everyday use rotation, but it still works just fine and is attached to a hi-hat, ready to go. Speaking of mixers, I also have an SD 442 that’s 13 years old and my first A/B battery charger that is approaching 22 years old is still in daily use(albeit with upgraded firmware).

Dale Pro Audio - Zaxcom Nova Recorder at NAB 2019

By DaleProAudio

Glenn Sanders from Zaxcom introduces the new Nova at the 2019 NAB Show. Nova is a complete sound solution that combines a mixer, a recorder, ZaxNet remote control, and wireless receivers into one compact and lightweight device.

For more info: https://daleproaudio.com/products/zax...

Dale Pro Audio • 148-04 95th Ave, Jamaica, NY 11435 • www.DaleProAudio.com

Dale Pro Audio - Sound Devices Scorpio at NAB 2019

By DaleProAudio

Watch as Paul Isaacs from Sound Devices takes us through the new Scorpio portable recorder at the 2019 NAB Show.

For more info: https://daleproaudio.com/products/sou...

Sound Devices Scorpio

By Newsshooter

We take a look at Sound Devices new Scorpio mixer/recorder at NAB 2019.

Sound Devices Launches Scorpio 32 Channel Mixer/Track Recorder

By Cinema5D

Sound Devices, the American company that is known for its high-end portable audio and video recorders, has just announced a new audio recorder: the Sound Devices Scorpio. The Scorpio is their new flagship sound field mixer and recorder that can record up to 32 channel/36 track. Let's take a look at this beautiful-looking and impressive piece of audio technology.