Thread: Phil's NAB Journal 2019

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks a million for this info Phil.

:)
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca Perin View Post
    Thank you Phil. I've ordered one of the new Titon batteries from Anton Bauer. They're so close to the Dionic (10A vs 12A) I can't tell why they present a battery so similar to the one they already have.
    Those Hive are so teeeemptin. Which 2/3 light kit do you recommend? :) Many thanks!!!
    p.s. Did you spot the new microchargers from bebob? I can't find anything online.
    Thanks Luca, the Titons are a response to people looking for a more budget friendly option. The main differences is a 12A versus 10A output and the Titons don't feature that fancy touch sensor on the rear of the Dionic XTs. They both feature status LEDs, a D-Tap, and a USB port. Output-wise both will power a RED just fine, but the Dionic's can certainly handle a few more accessories if you power a lot off of one battery.

The Hive Bumble Bee is coming in at around $300 from what I'm told, which is pretty fair. It for me is mostly a tabletop and SFX light due to output. My 5 light kit consists of 2 200s and 3 100s. I'll likely add the Super Hornet into the mix once it's available for a more powerful key or fill.

The Microchargers are just single cable D-Tap chargers. Didn't take a picture of one, but that's pretty much what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Interesting question: if Tokina expands the 18-105mm set of Vista Primes to 18-135mm, will existing Vista ONE sets have an expansion option?
    Yes, I believe that is the case. The full set today that you can order is the 18-105mm for around $55K. They moved about 50 sets on the floor, which was nuts. The 135mm is "not out yet" and probably shouldn't be announced, but heh, it's coming and I'm certain a Vista One variant will be made for those fleshing out the range. More glass is indeed coming, but 135mm is the next speedy beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Konrad View Post
    The 575 Hive is great news. I had a chat with a different manufacturer 3 weeks ago about the ideal form factor and output and mentioned the Profoto 400w HMI as the form/size I would love as a LED. Light enough to reverse mount overhead in a parabolic softbox, at least the output of a Joker 400 and all controls in a ballast to operate if high up and keep the head size reasonable. Hive have done the exact light I wished for.
    Yep, all the Hive color series go with the ProFoto form factor and accessories. They tried really hard to keep a ballast out of the equation, but for this output, it's pretty much necessary. Price is still a bit up in the air, but around $4K-$4.5K is to be expected. Tucking one of these into a parabolic refector is going to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Roland View Post
    For those of us who could not get to Vegas this year..... your work and reporting is very much appreciated Phil!
    Thank you Erich. There's a lot going on right now and this year was a notable glass, lighting, and large format year. It's pretty valuable to get that hands on experience with a few of these products. Especially on the lighting side, there's a slew of stuff that will fall apart in regular use and you can really feel that when poking and prodding.

Quote Originally Posted by David Collard View Post
    Thank you the report Phil.
    Begrudgingly, I have set aside a bowl of dragon shell stew for you.
    Heh. Had to keep it themed somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Thanks a million for this info Phil.:)
    Anytime Martin!
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil, any news about your stuff?

Will you release PhilmColor V3 anytime soon?
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert Niederacher View Post
    Phil, any news about your stuff?

Will you release PhilmColor V3 anytime soon?
    Yes. I'm tidying it up a bit. Got hit super hard during the last 3 weeks before NAB, but R3 is imminent.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Yes. I'm tidying it up a bit. Got hit super hard during the last 3 weeks before NAB, but R3 is imminent.
    It looks like that you never sleep. You have just finished the Monstro-Arri-Test...
    Cant wait to see your new LUTs.
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

Wow! Impressive work as always Phil! Really looking forward to what its gonna be with the Otus lenses!

Thank you Phil for the detailed report on NAB!
    Lots of interesting things to digest :)
    I was of half a mind to attend this year and as I didn't have anything ready to present in the VFX front, I skipped it.
    Thanks for sharing all of that beautiful glass too!

Can't wait for CineGear!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE Camera #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Thanks for this Phil. Did you get a chance to play with the Ergorig by any chance? Would love your thoughts.

Phil, Did you ask Brian Caldwell if he could make a focal reducer optic that'll plug&play with RED's interchangeable mount?

I'm only half-kidding... I'm not sure what the mark-up would have to be to make it worthwhile, but it'd be nice if there was something that works with DSMC1 without requiring you to hack'n'chop the OLPF bracket/lens mount and adjust the sensor back-focus all the way forward... And also didn't cost more than the camera.

Speaking of which, what happened with Duclos's RED focal reducer? Vapourware?

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert Niederacher View Post
    It looks like that you never sleep. You have just finished the Monstro-Arri-Test...
    Cant wait to see your new LUTs.
    Thanks Norbert. Can confirm, I don't sleep much it seems. NAB was a 4am-8am schedule mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsson San Pablo Chu View Post
    Thanks for this Phil. Did you get a chance to play with the Ergorig by any chance? Would love your thoughts.
    Yep. I've seen similar before, this is pretty well thought out. Pricing aside, it does what you think it does and is pretty well built. I can see it being really useful for those filming reality TV related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Phil, Did you ask Brian Caldwell if he could make a focal reducer optic that'll plug&play with RED's interchangeable mount?

I'm only half-kidding... I'm not sure what the mark-up would have to be to make it worthwhile, but it'd be nice if there was something that works with DSMC1 without requiring you to hack'n'chop the OLPF bracket/lens mount and adjust the sensor back-focus all the way forward... And also didn't cost more than the camera.

Speaking of which, what happened with Duclos's RED focal reducer? Vapourware?
    We're not making the focal reducer. Several reasons after assessing the market, who is making what, filmmakers interest/need, and the rather high cost to make something considerably better than say the Kipon stuff; it was deemed a not worthy venture. The sales just won't be there to support it. Reducers/Speed Boosters are neat, but the optical hit is just too noticeable across a range of lenses particularly out the edges. That said there are other options for going from VV>S35 and 645>VV.

On the flip side you will see various expanders across the board in various magnification strengths ranging from 1.1X through 1.7X. Mostly designed to do things like enlarge a Super 35mm lens to VistaVision with 1.4-1.7X or a shorter leap from Full Frame to VistaVision via a 1.2X. The market has responded to Expanders and that's why you see many people making them.

The Angenieux way is a similar approach and ideally the Expanders they utilize for their zooms are optimized for their design.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon