Thread: Advice on running long HDMI and USB cables to workstation and server.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Advice on running long HDMI and USB cables to workstation and server. 
    I like to move a server and a workstation 20-30 meters from the editing room. What would you recommend. How long can you run a HDMI cable before you need to amplify the signal? How long can you run a USB cable before you need to amplify it? Please share if you're happy with you're setup for this.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    I like to move a server and a workstation 20-30 meters from the editing room. What would you recommend. How long can you run a HDMI cable before you need to amplify the signal? How long can you run a USB cable before you need to amplify it? Please share if you're happy with you're setup for this.
    I would recommend not to go this route, you're probably better of with 4x10G or 2x40G ethernet.

You won't be able to just use long cables. HDMI spec is 15 m maximum, I think, and USB is 5 m or so.
    You'll need some kind of KVM solution which uses Cat5/6 cable, or just extend the video through HD-SDI or HDBaseT and use VNC or similar to remotely-control the machine from another computer.
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

I have run special HDMI cables roughly 50' and it can work, but make sure it's a permanent installation where the cables are not constantly being connected and disconnected. They don't hold up well -- it's just a cheap, shitty connector. HD-SDI is far better for this kind of thing.

Gefen Systems has pretty much the best DVI and USB extension systems out there, when you have to put your system in one room and the keyboard/display/controller in another. But they're not cheap. I see them often used in post houses here in LA.

https://www.gefen.com/product/usb-20...-EXT-USB2.0-LR
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I'm 100% on the same page as Marc regarding 50' + copper based HDMI cables, they're just a pain to work with, are directional, thick, unreliable, etc. And BNC/SDI is 100% the way to go for runs 200' or less when possible. That being said, we've been using some all in one/plug and play HDMI fiber cables in event staging applications, and *knock on wood* theyve been holding up really well thus far. Monoprice (yeah I know....) and others sell them. Super thin, and nice long runs with no fuss. Just dont let people that arent familiar with how to coil cables/fiber touch them, and you'll be good.

HDMI uhd 60hz works well up to 7m with good cables same with usb 3 with amplifiers. But 50m and such yiu really need some 10G dual or fiber connection to do it. I would advice not to go there its unreliable expansive and a hassle. try keep boxes more close and extend network if needed.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro