Thread: Rode Wireless go anyone?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rode Wireless go anyone? 
    Hello,

So im looking into buying a wireless lav set. Now at NAB these 2 small wireless sets have hit the market the rode wireless go and the sony xsw. Im intrigued about the small size and batterylife(charging options) of the Rode wireless go. Would you guys use this for professional audio? Or do you recommend getting a bigger and more expensive set with more options like antenna's other channels? Im prob never going to use it it in conditions that are over 20m away or something.
    So basicly the question is, audio qualitywise will the wireless lav set in combo with a decent lav. Get me pro audio quality, or would one hear a drastic difference saying against a sony upw-d11?

Thanks!

No first hand experience, but I've also been looking at the Rode. For $200, I will probably just try it. 4ms latency is good, digital transmission should provide comparable quality to hard wired (as their previous kit did), frequency range works world wide and requires no license. The mics will not be top quality, but you can plug in any 3.5mm third party mic. Range and max units supported are less than some other systems, but still enough for most situations. No locking connector is disappointing, but not a deal breaker for my use case.

I can’t speak to the audio quality(or anything else about those systems) as I’ve never used or heard them. I’ve never personally owned anything except Lectro wireless. But I would not want a system with non-removable rechargeable batteries as the only powering option.

here is a nice comparison
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcAeMooUvE0

this might be a dumb question but what if you are recording two people? can you go into on receiver, or do you need two setups with a splitter into camera?
    Last edited by jordan levy; 04-19-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    this might be a dumb question but what if you are recording two people? can you go into on receiver, or do you need two setups with a splitter into camera?
    You need two wireless mics, transmitters, and receivers (or perhaps a stereo receiver). There's always the chance that one person will be much louder than the other. I also wouldn't use something as cheap and crappy as the Rode wireless. Even a used Lectro or Zaxcom will be a better value in the long run.

Wireless mics are tough to use, because you never know what kind of interference is going to be in the area, what distance the actors/interview subjects will be from the sound recorder/camera, and so on. It's just a "just turn it on and go" device.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    You need two wireless mics, transmitters, and receivers (or perhaps a stereo receiver). There's always the chance that one person will be much louder than the other. I also wouldn't use something as cheap and crappy as the Rode wireless. Even a used Lectro or Zaxcom will be a better value in the long run.

Wireless mics are tough to use, because you never know what kind of interference is going to be in the area, what distance the actors/interview subjects will be from the sound recorder/camera, and so on. It's just a "just turn it on and go" device.
    thank you, makes sense. i guess this could be cool for like b roll walk and talks and things. but yeah a sit down interview btwn two people hard wire would be much safer. whats the minimum good set up for two lavs going straight into camera, wired?

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    thank you, makes sense. i guess this could be cool for like b roll walk and talks and things. but yeah a sit down interview btwn two people hard wire would be much safer. whats the minimum good set up for two lavs going straight into camera, wired?
    I always went wireless (Lectro 400 series), but also used a boom (and sometimes 2) whenever possible. I gave the post department as many choices as I could. The lav isolated the person but "sounded like a lav" -- that is, a microphone 6" from the person's mouth. The boom had more room ambience, plus it was a $1500 mic, and it "sounded more real." There's pros and cons for either approach. Given a really quiet room and controlled conditions, I'd toss the lavs and use 2 booms and something like 2 Sennheiser MKH 50s or Schoeps 641's. 2 Schoeps CMITs would be another approach.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I always went wireless (Lectro 400 series), but also used a boom (and sometimes 2) whenever possible. I gave the post department as many choices as I could. The lav isolated the person but "sounded like a lav" -- that is, a microphone 6" from the person's mouth. The boom had more room ambience, plus it was a $1500 mic, and it "sounded more real." There's pros and cons for either approach. Given a really quiet room and controlled conditions, I'd toss the lavs and use 2 booms and something like 2 Sennheiser MKH 50s or Schoeps 641's. 2 Schoeps CMITs would be another approach.
    thank you! all makes sense, i was trying to come with a simple one man band approach, but i see what you are saying for sure.

I thought the Deity Connect was cool. Having one receiver and two transmitters is super handy for interview settings.

https://www.deitymic.com/connect/

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Looked at Deity, but the latency for their system is allegedly quite high. Be prepared to adjust your audio timing in post.

Marc, you called the Rode system "cheap and crappy". Zaxcom and Lectro are great, but they are orders of magnitude more expensive and use licensed spectrum that is rapidly being lost, filling up, and doesn't stay consistently usable internationally.

I think it's great that others are innovating in this space. Cheap? Yes in a good way. Crappy? If you have first hand experience, definitely open to hearing it. The actual aural specifications for the Rode system look quite good.