Thread: Buy a Weapon 6k (Mg) - Smart/Dumb?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Buy a Weapon 6k (Mg) - Smart/Dumb? 
    So Iím real close to finally buying my first RED. Super pumped, but nervous and need some help. Can you guys help me make sure my thinking is correct or not?

Hereís my current plan...
    - Buy a Weapon 6k instead of Scarlet W
    - Iíve been told (in another forum) that there is no upgrade path for Weapon 6k but on Redís website, it looks like I can do a sensor and board upgrade to Gemini for $7k. Is that not the case?
    - If I can upgrade the board and sensor, are there any downsides that Iím not understanding? Wonít it kinda be like a brand new camera at that point, but with scrapes and and such on the body?
    - LUT in camera on monitor, I know that the Weapon doesnít do in camera IPP2 and only the Dragon-X can do that, but thereís a workaround to being able to put LUTs on your Red monitor right?
    - I really like the look of the Dragon sensor, but other Red owners just keep talking about not having an upgrade path is the biggest problem, but I canít seem to find any camera that wonít let you get an upgrade.

I appreciate the help in advance. This forum is so great and full of knowledge and everyone seems to be so helpful. Iím sure you guys were nervous about dropping lots of money on your first RED too. So, thanks!

6K Mg is a good camera.

Not having luts and IPP2 in camera is a slight drawback but as I see it only valid if you want to do prores with luts in camera. IF you shoot r3d then what ever you do in camera is not really relevant.

I would actually rather have the MG then the X as its 6k.

And I doubt I would "upgrade" it to a Gemini. Its a pretty darn good camera as it is.
    BjŲrn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Yeah its a good cam.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Still own mine. It’s a great camera.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

MG is an amazing camera - sometimes I do miss the in camera IPP2 - love the Dragon and 6k - frame rates are quite nice too...
    Frederik LindstrÝm Studio
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Weapon Magnesium #1178
    www.frederiklindstrom.com

As far as I'm aware, you can still upgrade all DSMC2s to whatever flavour of DSMC2 Unified, the prices just vary...

I can see why someone would have a hard time deciding between Weapon MG and Gemini if it didn't cost anything, because that has dual ISO and a taller sensor. But going from Weapon MG to Dragon-X would be a downgrade any way you cut it... In-camera IPP2 is "nice", but that's like saying you don't plan on doing post (and prores/dnx proxies, as far as I'm aware, never bake in the LUTs/IPP2 contrast and roll-off anyway, so even that is kinda moot).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 04-20-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Still have mine and absolutely love it. The only thing I would upgrade to would be Monstro.

will repost

Thanks everyone for the input! This just make me even more stoked to get it!!!

Using mine tomorrow with Epic-W and Scarlet-MX in tow. Will get the job done!