Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA SDK and updated REDCINE-X now available

Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Ok guys, got some pretty exciting news. Tried Resolve on our MSI Titan with 1080 GTX 8GB and 6x4GHz CPUs.

Conclusions
    - PLAYBACKS 8K REALTIME on a 1080p timeline. GPU memory is 5.3GB and GPU usage is abou 30%.
    - Does not playback on a UHD timeline sadly. Stutters every 1 second making it useless. Good thing in Resolve is you can work in 1080p timeline but export UHD so it is not that big deal.
    - I did curves adjustment and tried several different nodes like Blur, Glow, Dehaze and playback was constantly realtime. If you add many nodes this would probably change of course.

MSI and the other brands has of course newer versions with 2080 RTX cards in them so they should be about 50% faster
    And also more interesting you can get laptops with Quadro 5000 RTX cards with 24GB Ram.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Has anyone tried playing back Red files on the ultrabooks that has for example Nvidia MX250 with only 2GB Ram.
    Im considering getting one for ultra portable offloading, but would be nice if I can at least start the files at all.

Andreas
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

It needs at least 4gb of ram, but there are MX250s with 4gb. I asked in the original thread and no one responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    It needs at least 4gb of ram, but there are MX250s with 4gb. I asked in the original thread and no one responded.
    Yes, that is right, I seen that there is 4GB RAM versions, but they seem to exist on the larger laptops, 15" for example. Do not think I have seen it on an ultrabook, even though in theory it could exist.

When I tested Redcine I have seen it use about 3.5GB instantly so around 4 is probably the limit.

Does any one know when this update is coming for Avid Media Composer

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Has anyone tried playing back Red files on the ultrabooks that has for example Nvidia MX250 with only 2GB Ram.
    Im considering getting one for ultra portable offloading, but would be nice if I can at least start the files at all.

Andreas
    I've been able to work with Redcode on an ultrabook. I was using an mx150 with 2GB at the time, and an ultra-low-voltage quad core CPU. With the de-Bayer settings low enough, it was interactive, at least in Scratch. That was without the GPU accelerated decompression, and it was three years ago. Nowadays you'll have more powerful CPUs as well as GPUs, so if you aren't worried about previewing in a lower resolution than full, then you'll probably be fine.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

I tried the HP Envy with MX250. It could deal with up to half debayer, at full debayer the program stopped working. It was fairly fast, it could handle quarter debayer at maybe half realtime.
    However what was a bit disapointing was that 1/8 and 1/16 could not be played at realtime so you could basically not see anything realtime without transcoding.

Bah, got an Apple 16" instead. A bit heavier, but better battery, and of course GPU with 8GB of Ram.

Basically I would say:
    - great offloading computer
    - pretty good at Red playback and grading, but not as good as the Quadro 5000 RTX laptops out there, they are however 1.5kg heavier and also quite a bit more expensive.

Going to test FCPX and see how the Metal support of Red files is working out. Looking forward for Redcine X release with Metal as well. Always liked working in Redcine, it is a great program.

Cheers
    Andreas

Any updates on Redcine X Metal support on Mac OS?
    For transcoding I really prefere Redcine X to FCPX.

Cheers,
    Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Any updates on Redcine X Metal support on Mac OS?
    For transcoding I really prefere Redcine X to FCPX.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    Kind of

Tested on the fastest MacBook Pro 16" export times

REDCINE X
    This is 8K FF 60fps 1:12 compression that is 30s long
    To 1080p Prores LT
    - Full Debayer. 2:05min 4 slower than realtime
    - 1/2th Good 1:08. So twice as slow as realtime
    - 1/4th Debayer. 24s So faster than realtime.

Remember Redcine X does still not have Metal acceleration so should be considerably faster when it does.
    This is to compare with our MSI with a 1080 GTX that exports Full Debayer in about realtime so this is approx 4x slower, but of course a much lighter computer.

Also tested in FCPX
    FPCX. Transcode to Optimized media. 3:40
    Transcode to Proxy media. 1 minute.

This does not seem any faster than in Redcine X even though it is meant to have GPU acceleration. Not sure why this happens.

I may also be of interest to you how battery fared on the new Macbook for offloading. Offloding to 2 SSD cards took about 33% of the battery for 1TB. So you can almost but not quite do 3TB offload with the battery.
    If you view Red RAW files you can do it for about 1hour, maybe a bit more and then the battery dies.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 02-20-2020 at 04:49 PM.