Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA SDK and updated REDCINE-X now available

Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Took them a long time to implement IPP2. (and even then, didn't really get it the first time) I was hoping for an Adobe Max update too but we'll have to be patient. Next major update is normally spring time-ish?

Anybody has any news on when this will be implemented with Adobe, Davinci Etc... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Apple, please get your shit together. Thanks.
    Yes, not going to get that fancy new Mac Pro until Red and Apple work out a new SDK for metal and hopefully to take advantage of the "afterburner" card. Hopefully that will happen soon.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    Yes, not going to get that fancy new Mac Pro until Red and Apple work out a new SDK for metal and hopefully to take advantage of the "afterburner" card. Hopefully that will happen soon.
    Well we did the first part, the SDK for metal is now out :)

Afterburner is a completely different beast... that is not going to happen soon.

Thanks Jarred, very helpful. I just saw the new release available forMac of RCX.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Jarred, any news when Davinci will implement the SDK for PC as well, they have been very silent?

I really loved FCPX, but on PC it has been Davinci Resolve the last years. Still not as good for editing, but of course wow for grading.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Have tested Resolve with the new SDK and it seems stable.. on a Gradeing machine using a z8 with 28x2.6 xeon cores, loads of ram, and a GPU for GUI and a singe Titan XP for compute...

this update is great for Rushes creation... engage GPU for decode + debayer and it really flys!!! BUT not for gradeing on this particular setup!!! for gradeing we will have to untick GPU for Decode and carry on as normal.....

Will try in a machine with 2 x Titan XP for Compute and see if this changes things enough to use for gradeing.... or perhaps I need to look at Titan RTX (but then I can't run mutiple cards) or Quadra RTX cards??

My question is it seems like this SDK takes up about 60% of a TitanXP on the decompress stage of Red Monstro 8k files? does that sound about right??

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Have tested Resolve with the new SDK and it seems stable.. on a Gradeing machine using a z8 with 28x2.6 xeon cores, loads of ram, and a GPU for GUI and a singe Titan XP for compute...

My question is it seems like this SDK takes up about 60% of a TitanXP on the decompress stage of Red Monstro 8k files? does that sound about right??

thanks again
    That sounds about right to me. How much memory does it use?
    But yes, I can see that what could happen is that the SDK and Davinci will beging to fight for resources. Hopefully having 2 cards should improve that, ideally we would have 1 card dedicated to Red decoding.

Btw, just got latest, how do you actually turn on the GPU acceleration? Speed feels the same as before and cannot find any specific settings for it.
    Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 12-18-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Ooooohweeeee!!! Butter smooth, butter smooth! Finally, I can edit in 8K. Thanks to everyone who made this happen!

Once you set the Davinci Resolve > Preferences > Decode Options > Use GPU for R3D: Decompression and Debayer, you should be able to change the File > Project Settings > Camera Raw > Raw Profile: Red; Decode Quality: Full Res. Premium with pretty stable results as mentioned above.
    Red Epic-W/Red Epic-MX
    Filmaker, Software Technical Architect & Serial Entrepreneur

That did the trick, missed the Decode Options.

Much much faster, which is great. I still used to get slowdowns on our 28 core machine, and woudl often have to playback in half res.
    However memory usage is a bit of a concern. It first went up to 6.1GB and then pretty quickly to 8.3GB for just reviewing some shots.
    Seems like one will have to get a Titan RTX for grading more complex scenes. Anyone that has tested in more real grading scenarios.

Andreas