Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA SDK and updated REDCINE-X now available

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    I have hoped that Resolve would implemented it, they implemented RAW GPU support for nearly every other codec currently, but even in their latest 16.1 beta it has not been featured.

I worry a bit that the Red GPU support could collide with Davincis own GPU work and especially memory. Of course a simple solution would be to get Titan cards to handle, but not such option with laptops.
    Currently we edit all our work in RAW Davinci and it works well. If I need to do more complicated edits I will generate DNxHR proxies so you get a butter smooth experience, but I usually do not need this.

Resolve can handle most formats in realtime currently Tried
    - Phantom VEO 4k, worked fine.
    - Just tried DJI 6k DNG files worked realtime as well.
    - Red 8K also playbacks in realtime most of the time, sometimes it works sometimes you need to switch to quarter res.
    Only format that gives me grief is Canon timelapses, for some reasons the CR2 files are very slow and you get 2fps. Could be worth converting to DNG files since for DJi they are apparently very fast.

/Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    I have hoped that Resolve would implemented it, they implemented RAW GPU support for nearly every other codec currently, but even in their latest 16.1 beta it has not been featured.
    I've been hoping for the same, because I edit in Resolve even though I prefer to color grade in Scratch or Mistika.

I worry a bit that the Red GPU support could collide with Davincis own GPU work and especially memory. Of course a simple solution would be to get Titan cards to handle, but not such option with laptops.
    That's very possible, I suspect. Mazze from Assimilate told me that, keeping in mind that Scratch is normally a single-GPU only application, that Scratch can use two GPUs if available by dedicating one of them to Red decode now that it has the updated Red SDK implemented. Resolve doesn't achieve the same performance as Scratch, but it scales up as you add more GPUs, which Scratch doesn't.

And by using the approach of dedicating one GPU to the Red SDK and one to Scratch, it's possible for them to be asymmetrical, also not the case in Resolve.

Currently we edit all our work in RAW Davinci and it works well. If I need to do more complicated edits I will generate DNxHR proxies so you get a butter smooth experience, but I usually do not need this.
    I mostly edit in Resolve also these days, though I'm trying to shift my grading to Scratch and/or Mistika (the latter especially for things that involve non-trivial composites). Their color management and color tools are very nice -- especially with the new visual color manipulation tool that Scratch has now, where you can drag colors around directly in the image. It's pretty elegant, though it's causing me to use my panel less. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

When will this be implemented in the different editing softwares? (beside Redcine)...it was announced 6 months ago yet has had a very slow implementation...any updates?

All Redcine uses GPU for is to decode Red files... Resolve uses GPU for EVERYTHING. I suspect the Assimilate aproach may work best... but this may be a probelmatic switch for the Resolve team.

Has there been any public comitmetn to suporting the Nvidia GPU dewavlet for r3ds at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Maz Mawlawi View Post
    When will this be implemented in the different editing softwares? (beside Redcine)...it was announced 6 months ago yet has had a very slow implementation...any updates?
    Hey all, I am also here wondering the same thing for Premiere implementation? Any word about that?

I know this isn't on RED team, but perhaps we can get some guidance in how to get Adobe's attention here? BRAW already has a third-party plug-in (I know it is not the same thing).
    Obviously Adobe has moved away from the "david fincher - gone girl - we edit movies on ere" model to a "youtube star edit program" because of the big bucks in more users or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_G View Post
    Hey all, I am also here wondering the same thing for Premiere implementation? Any word about that?

I know this isn't on RED team, but perhaps we can get some guidance in how to get Adobe's attention here? BRAW already has a third-party plug-in (I know it is not the same thing).
    Obviously Adobe has moved away from the "david fincher - gone girl - we edit movies on ere" model to a "youtube star edit program" because of the big bucks in more users or whatever.
    Actually Adobe is about to do an event on Terminator: Dark Fate and the post workflow and yes it's still the most used NLE in the industry percentage-wise.

But yes, I agree it would be nice to see speedier implementation of a whole lot of things. It's actually been a laggish-style sort of year in many ways from all developers it seems. Not just this SDK related goodness.

This one is likely trickier to implement code-wise as it might deal with resources that could effect other things, but who knows.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Actually Adobe is about to do an event on Terminator: Dark Fate and the post workflow and yes it's still the most used NLE in the industry percentage-wise.

But yes, I agree it would be nice to see speedier implementation of a whole lot of things. It's actually been a laggish-style sort of year in many ways from all developers it seems. Not just this SDK related goodness.

This one is likely trickier to implement code-wise as it might deal with resources that could effect other things, but who knows.
    Phil, I am always skimming for your helpful knowledge and contributions! Thanks for your time mate.

Thanks for the update and I figure as much. As always we make do with what we can, but it does surprise me actually and I do feel like they are not taking the format seriously in a way.
    I just need to get work done and it would help out greatly for many of us, specially with these newer lighter 6K cameras inbound and with making 8K raw more accessible, etc.

Just got updated to Adobe 2020 and no sign of the SDK implementation :(
    I know this is fully on Adobe and their own schedule (if they even plan to implement it or not), but is there anything the wizards at RED can do to speed it along? Maybe give a subtle poke to Adobe...or even a firm launching of a monstro sized boot up a certain NLE's keister? :D

Much love <3
    Joshua Hoareau
    www.cinestudios.com.au
    Epic-X Dragon #5108 "Ancalagon"
    Sony CineAlta PL Cinema Lenses
    Canon C100 Mk II / Sony A7III
    CINESTUDIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hoareau View Post
    Just got updated to Adobe 2020 and no sign of the SDK implementation :(
    I know this is fully on Adobe and their own schedule (if they even plan to implement it or not), but is there anything the wizards at RED can do to speed it along? Maybe give a subtle poke to Adobe...or even a firm launching of a monstro sized boot up a certain NLE's keister? :D

Much love <3
    Right!? Resolve doesn't have it yet either, wth!? It's been what? Almost 7 months now and still no GPU decode or Chroma denoise?? Getting somewhat frustrating to be honest. The Chroma denoise is so good, I hate not having it in Resolve.

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    People still bug the shit outtta Adobe about their old bugs. Could be they're not interesting in implementing an SDK until some of that gets resolved... but I doubt it.

The more folks ask him for it, the quicker they'll be on the draw. Everyone should be sending them emails, not posting on this forum their complaints.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com