Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED + NVIDIA SDK and updated REDCINE-X now available

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76
  1. #21  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Apple, please get your shit together. Thanks.
    Since Apple settled with Qualcomm, perhaps nVidia is next... OK, not holding my breath ;)

    FWIW, I find it hard to imagine a $10K+ MacPro 7,1 build without nVidia/CUDA that would merit that level of investment...

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member DJ Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Since Apple settled with Qualcomm, perhaps nVidia is next... OK, not holding my breath ;)

    FWIW, I find it hard to imagine a $10K+ MacPro 7,1 build without nVidia/CUDA that would merit that level of investment...

    Cheers - #19
    Yeh. 7,1 Mac Pro sans nVidia is DOA.

    Like it or not nVidia/CUDA is dominant in a lot of market segments. Not everyone sits around running Resolve benchmarks all day.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,447
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Yeh. 7,1 Mac Pro sans nVidia is DOA.

    Like it or not nVidia/CUDA is dominant in a lot of market segments. Not everyone sits around running Resolve benchmarks all day.
    Maybe, maybe not.

    I think Apple is more focused on ProResRAW and their own CPU+GPU combination.
    The market for .R3D post processing is tiny compared to AVC, HVEC(consumers), ProResRAW(prosumers) and ProRes(fossils).

    FCPX and Davinci Resolve both work on iMac's with every codec in realtime except... the heavy one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member Alexandros Tsoupras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Athens Greece
    Posts
    150
    Bravo RED team. I can playback 6k 50fps footage from my EPIC DRAGON with a Nvidia GTX1060 in a 2 years MSI 4K laptop. It uses 46% of my CPU and 5.5GB out of 16GB of the GPU. 8K begins now for me.
    Last edited by Alexandros Tsoupras; 04-26-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    EPIC-X DRAGON #02027 "Faith" Manfrotto Canon CN-E Primes Samyang Bright Tangerine Viv Tiffen Tilta Nucleus-m Teradek Bolt 600ft Bartech PLC Heden Letus35 Helix Mg Ready Rig Pro arms FSI Tvlogic Atomos Shogun Inferno Wooden Camera MSI
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member Blair S. Paulsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,934
    Perhaps there's enough demand for Apple/AMD to co-develop a hybrid chip - perhaps optimized for Metal2 by an army of coders - that could be competitive with the nVidia/CUDA solutions...

    Until then: it's either OSX - or - nVidia/CUDA on Windoze? With the new code - plus the general improvements in Win10 - the situation has "evolved".

    I'd still rather have nVidia/CUDA running smoothly on OSX if I can...

    Cheers - #19
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Senior Member Rakesh Malik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    This has been extremely empowering and a revelation really on the REDCINE-X PRO side of things. It's insane playing back an 8K timeline properly now this way at full debayer.

    I'm curious to see how and where this gets implemented into 3rd party NLEs. Oddly throughout this process due to some of my projects I've been looking at how each application handles various codecs playback and rendering. It feels like there's a lot of work that can be done to improve a few things for sure. This is certainly a beneficial technology to working professionals.

    It would be a nice day where resource allocation is a bit more optimized for most major applications. I understand the difficulties however of making stuff compatible with "everything" and some of these packages are just stacks of hamburger patties just piled on and getting a bit wobbly higher up there. Might be time to look at the burger as a whole again team A and B.

    Kudos out to the beta team and that feedback structure btw.
    I'm guessing that Assimilate will have a build incorporating the new SDK in a day or two... Assimilate had realtime 8K playback with a 2080 and six cores working when it got to NAB (and the demo got hosed because the demo machine that B&H gave Mazze didn't have an RTX card).

    Black Magic will most likely work this into one of the upcoming beta builds also, and I suspect that SGO will get it integrated into Mistika in a few weeks.

    It's going to make life much better for people using Red cameras :)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography
    http://WhiteCranePhotography.com
    http://WinterLight.studio
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member AndreasOberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    Black Magic will most likely work this into one of the upcoming beta builds also, and I suspect that SGO will get it integrated into Mistika in a few weeks.

    It's going to make life much better for people using Red cameras :)
    We mostly use Davinci Resolve for both grading and editing. I have a slight worry that the gpu usage from Red files could impact Resolve negatively, since everything in resolve is using the GPU so much. Of course in theory one could solve it by having multiple cards.
    I am a bit on the fence if I should get the Titan or the 2080 RTX, I do get out of ram sometimes currently, but the Titan is so much more expensive.

    On another note I hope we will get laptop versions at a point that has more RAM. 8GB is nice, but as we know not enough for some things. When I run 8k media I am currently using 7GB in Redcine, which makes me nervous.
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member Joel Arvidsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,774
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    We mostly use Davinci Resolve for both grading and editing. I have a slight worry that the gpu usage from Red files could impact Resolve negatively, since everything in resolve is using the GPU so much. Of course in theory one could solve it by having multiple cards.
    I am a bit on the fence if I should get the Titan or the 2080 RTX, I do get out of ram sometimes currently, but the Titan is so much more expensive.

    On another note I hope we will get laptop versions at a point that has more RAM. 8GB is nice, but as we know not enough for some things. When I run 8k media I am currently using 7GB in Redcine, which makes me nervous.
    /Andreas
    Yeah it would be great with some info on different graphic cards combos that work etc. Im sure there are plenty of redusers that have a Nvidia 1080Ti and want to know if its any good to combo with another 1080Ti or if its better to run a single 2080Ti. Do users get the out of ram message with their workstation.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member Brandon J.F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,267
    I can playback 8k 60fps footage with a 1080ti in a 4-5 year old Xeon workstation. It uses 13% of my CPU, 11% of my GPU and 6.1GB (out of 11GB) of the GPU memory as per Windows task manager. Amazing!
    Twitter: @hybridvigorfilm

    Hybrid Vigor is a 100% crowdfunded feature film.
    We've been backed over 1,900 times by people from 44 countries.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member DJ Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    760
    Final nail in the coffin for Rocket-X in the windows world. The trusty Rocket still makes a big difference on our iMac Pro but thats about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts