Thread: Transform Creative LUT to IPP2 Workflow

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Transform Creative LUT to IPP2 Workflow 
    Hey guys,

I promise I tried using the search and Google, but I have not been able to find an answer to this.

We are a small production in Germany (pardon my English...) that produces a weekly web-sitcom. It has been running for two years and although you should never change a working system, we are trying to upgrade to the IPP2 workflow.
    Part of our grade is a show-LUT, that is designed to work on rec709 and sits as a final grade on the entire timeline. I would love to get this creative LUT into the IPP2 system. There are many reasons, why this would be beneficial to us... seeing pregraded footage on set would be great for all parties, including Hair/Make-Up/Set-Design, having the look baked into the R3D files could simplify our post-workflow, have the ability to perhaps later reexport episodes for HDR without having to regrade everything, ...

What I have not been able to do is to convert the LUT that is designed to work on rec709 footage to work as a creative LUT before the IPP2 Transform LUT is applied and get an identical end result.

Is there anyone who can help me with that? I am willing to pay for software if required, but since I am not a pro image technician, I am looking for some step by step guidance :D

Thanks a lot!

Yannik,

Could you provide the lut you are using and a .r3d frame grab of a scene? Could you also provide a .jpeg of a scene with your Lut applied to it.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.

Yannik,

What software are you using, Adobe, Final Cut Pro or Davinci Resolve? And, Do you use Redcine-X Pro?

Hey Rand

thanks for the reply. I gathered the files you asked for in this zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k4G...ew?usp=sharing
    We are using Premiere Pro for our workflow.

Thanks
    Yannik

Yannik,

Here is what I was able to do with 3DLut Creator. Unfortunately, I don't use Premiere Pro so I will have to demonstrate this in Davinci Davinci Resolve.

I'm using a Rec709/Gamma 2.4(BT1886) RedwidegamutRGB/ Log3G10 Project

Here is the jpeg you sent with your Lut applied to it.

Here is what the R3d file you sent looks like in an IPP2 Workflow with an IPP2 Medium/Medium Output Transform applied at the end of the Node chain and with your lut added as a Creative Lut.

Here is what the R3d file you sent looks like in an IPP2 Workflow with an IPP2 Medium/Medium Output Transform applied layered with your Lut in 3DLut Creator at the end of the Node chain.

Here is what the R3d file you sent looks like in an IPP2 Workflow with an IPP2 Medium/Soft Output Transform applied layered with your Lut in 3DLut Creator at the end of the Node chain.

Your original Jpeg with your lut apllied

Your R3d. inside an IPP2 workflow with your lut added as Creative Lut with a Medium/Medium Output Transform at the end of the Node chain.

Here is what the R3d file you sent looks like in an IPP2 Workflow with an IPP2 Medium/Medium Output Transform applied layered with your Lut in 3DLut Creator at the end of the Node chain.

Here is what the R3d file you sent looks like in an IPP2 Workflow with an IPP2 Medium/Soft Output Transform applied layered with your Lut in 3DLut Creator at the end of the Node chain.

Here is a link to the folder that contains your "Original Lut Layered with an IPP2 Medium/Medium-Rec709/Gamma 2.4 Output Transform" and your "Original Lut Layered with an IPP2 Medium/Soft-Rec709/Gamma 2.4 Output Transform". They combine your Creative Lut and an IPP2 transform Lut into one Lut with the IPP2 Transform Conversion being done first then adding your Lut grade last. Let me know if this helped any.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9ph76tz8...wYGGSX8Ba?dl=0

Rand
    Last edited by rand thompson; 04-26-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Yannik,

If you're interested in learning how to create a "Creative Lut" for the IPP2 Workflow from scratch inside of Davinci Resolve let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Yannik Markworth View Post
    We are a small production in Germany (pardon my English...) that produces a weekly web-sitcom. It has been running for two years and although you should never change a working system, we are trying to upgrade to the IPP2 workflow.
    Part of our grade is a show-LUT, that is designed to work on rec709 and sits as a final grade on the entire timeline. I would love to get this creative LUT into the IPP2 system. There are many reasons, why this would be beneficial to us... seeing pregraded footage on set would be great for all parties, including Hair/Make-Up/Set-Design, having the look baked into the R3D files could simplify our post-workflow, have the ability to perhaps later reexport episodes for HDR without having to regrade everything, ...

What I have not been able to do is to convert the LUT that is designed to work on rec709 footage to work as a creative LUT before the IPP2 Transform LUT is applied and get an identical end result.

Is there anyone who can help me with that? I am willing to pay for software if required, but since I am not a pro image technician, I am looking for some step by step guidance :D

Thanks a lot!

If you want to use a specific signal pipeline with applying a look, you should design a look within a same pipeline.

If you have designed a creative look based on Log3G10 & RWG basis on 709 viewing and applied it in the camera in legacy mode on Log3G10 & RWG to avoid other transforms, you should get the same image on a 709 setup monitor.

Here's the method I used in 3DLut Creator Pro.

However, As Hrvoje stated above, its best to create a Lut specifically designed for the RedwidegamutRGB/Log3G10 Colorspace.

Here are example images from a creative Lut I made Called "Girls On roof Primaries" that I used in both Davinci Resolve 16 and Redcine-X Pro.

Image from Luigi Valtulini

Original Image

Resolve 16

Redcine-X Pro

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-27-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Yannik,

Here is a Creative Lut I made in Davinci Resolve that is "Warmer" and I think with better skintones. It was made for a Rec709/ Gamma2.4 (BT1886) RedwidegamutRGB/Log3G10 Colorspace project and from a default 800 ISO, 5600K Temp and 0.00 Tint.

Yannik Warmer better skin

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs46wsz02d...396F.cube?dl=0

Original

Warmer

Redcine-X Pro

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-27-2019 at 12:06 PM.