Thread: Transform Creative LUT to IPP2 Workflow

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you use the same numerical values in an ACEScct project plus Tone and Gamut Mapping as were used in the warmer lut, you'll get almost the same results.

Instead of a -0.01 Blue Gamma correction as in the IPP2 compatible Lut, I used a 0.00 Blue Gamma Correction in ACEScct to get a closer match

Last edited by rand thompson; 04-27-2019 at 02:41 PM.

Dear Rand,

I'm new to RED too (and to daVinci, too). So I have this question: what is the difference between the aforementioned transformation that it's applied layered with your Lut and the same transformation applied at the end of the node tree? I mean, I see the difference in the results you posted, but I don't know how to do this and why is the color difference (which is huge)?

Thank you

Cristian

Christian,

Welcome to Reduser! In the example I posted a while back, the final Lut I made allows for the IPP2 transform lut to complete its transformation of the image from the REDWIDEGAMUTRGB/LOG3G10 colorspace to the Rec709 colorspace first then Yannik's REC709 Lut is applied last but all at the same time.

To put it simply , Yannik's REC709 Lut only saw a REC709 image not a REDWIDEGAMUTRGB/LOG3G10 image. When you just try to add two colorspaces together, in this case two Luts for two different colorspaces, you get colors that are not meant to work together and the resulting bad looking image. However, if you could combine them in one Lut whereas you allowed for the transformation from one colorspace to the colorspace that the REC709 Lut was meant for but as two completely separate processes within the same Lut it would work.

Do you have a Rec709 Lut you were trying to use, I could give you a demonstration.

Rand - I want to thank you for all you do around here. I've been away from RedUser for a while, and got stuck in my old habits of working with footage. You have really helped out with bringing me back into the IPP2 'game'.

G.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Glen,

Thanks I appreciate that!