Thread: What video card are you guys using on your editing rigs?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What video card are you guys using on your editing rigs? 
    My current setup:

64GB DDR4 RAM
    Ryzen 1800x 8 core-16 thread CPU
    Samsung 840 SSD
    GTX 780Ti 3GB GPU

My .r3d footage won't load more than a few seconds at a time in "full res" in red player and in after effects or premiere forget about it, it will barely play 4k downres footage. Warp stabilizer takes 45 minutes for a 30 second 4k clip.

If I get an AMD 580 will my previewing speeds go up? Because I would think with 64 GB ram and 8 core CPU that I should be fine for previewing but the only bottleneck I can think of is the video card. But on paper the 780ti isn't that much worse than 580 in terms of benchmarks.

You should very seriously consider moving to a newer NVIDIA GPU. Please see this thread (and search for others) for more information. http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...32#post1852432

The SDK will slowly be integrated into NLEs and they can take advantage of the decode. I would NOT go AMD at the moment.
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    You should very seriously consider moving to a newer NVIDIA GPU. Please see this thread (and search for others) for more information. http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...32#post1852432

The SDK will slowly be integrated into NLEs and they can take advantage of the decode. I would NOT go AMD at the moment.
    Do you think the 1070 would be sufficient?

I have 2 GPUs, but PP only uses one. I didn't get full playback with a 980, but I do now with a 1080Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Welsch View Post
    My current setup:

64GB DDR4 RAM
    Ryzen 1800x 8 core-16 thread CPU
    Samsung 840 SSD
    GTX 780Ti 3GB GPU

My .r3d footage won't load more than a few seconds at a time in "full res" in red player and in after effects or premiere forget about it, it will barely play 4k downres footage. Warp stabilizer takes 45 minutes for a 30 second 4k clip.

If I get an AMD 580 will my previewing speeds go up? Because I would think with 64 GB ram and 8 core CPU that I should be fine for previewing but the only bottleneck I can think of is the video card. But on paper the 780ti isn't that much worse than 580 in terms of benchmarks.
    What kind of .r3d footage are you talking about?
    AE and PP are not really famous for taking advantage of a fast GPU.

I have an older i7 cpu, but a new GTX 2070. Helium 8k footage is playing real time at resolution set to 1/2. 5k footage plays back real time at full res.
    Aaron Green - Chicago, IL
    DRAGON X
    www.instagram.com/aaronkgreen

Dragon footage doesn't work for some reason. It's incredibly laggy in premiere. I'm not sure what the bottleneck would be other than the GPU.

Have a look at this https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomme...ecommendations

Dragon footage is 6k so you might want a GPU with more memory (atleast 8 GB).

Though I'm certain a certain voice will pop up and say a few things, here's what you should do:

- Nvidia w/ minimum of 8GB of RAM on the GPU, preferably an RTX series card.
    - Find a way to navigate to Intel, deeper software and hardware related support outside of the value propositions of AMD.
    - Big one, at a minimum get up to 2X SATA SSDs in RAID 0 configuration to read from. You'll likely fine under what you have now for the resolutions and REDCODE RAW Compression Ratios you are using, but you will see benefits slightly once you have more bandwidth, especially on the native REDCODE RAW editing side.
    - Have a dedicated output drive, i.e. don't read and write to your working volume. That slows you down.

Your system RAM is what you are currently buffering with, now that the GPU Decode SDK has been released we'll see gains eventually in 3rd party NLEs once they implement that code. You can get a whiff of what to expect in REDCINE-X PRO today via the beta download.

I have zero problems playing back anything below 8K at full debayer with and without the new GPU Decode stuff via an X299 based system, but it's a bit more punch than you've got currently.

For 8K material, big boxes are handling 8K great, with the GPU Decode a lot better on the playback side of things, but again, just RCX for the moment. It's a pretty big deal though and you can really feel the impact it will have once it's really out there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I don't think the PremPro team has had time to code for RED's latest SDK just yet. If it's implemented well, it should be roughly as fast as in RCP-X. My suggestion is the 2080Ti card or P5000 depending on your setup, whether you plan to drive an 8K monitor, data load, etc.

Typically, the first place to test any new RED SDK is in their own tool - RCP-X - and use that as a baseline. Whatever GPU you pick, the more VRAM the better - especially at higher resolutions. Buffer overrun can spike long renders even when storage, compute power, etc are up to the job.

Cheers - #19