Thread: Bake in LUT 2K ProRes

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Bake in LUT 2K ProRes 
    Don't need to hear the plethora of reasons why I shouldn't be doing this. Just need to know if I can do this.

Need to bake in a LUT shooting 2K ProRes for ease in post. Have read some similar posts to see if its possible, unclear. Shooting on Epic W Hellum at an event and don't want to hire a camera when I should be able to do it on mine.

Thanks

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Besley View Post
    Don't need to hear the plethora of reasons why I shouldn't be doing this. Just need to know if I can do this.

Need to bake in a LUT shooting 2K ProRes for ease in post. Have read some similar posts to see if its possible, unclear. Shooting on Epic W Hellum at an event and don't want to hire a camera when I should be able to do it on mine.

Thanks

D
    Yes you can. It's so easy to do that many people do it by mistake, to their eternal regret. Search for the term "BAKED-IN SETTINGS" in your camera's Operations Guide.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Thanks Michael.

I do it all the time. Prores 2k LT with full grade for the win next to r3d´s. Then editorial have their files ready and when done grading / resolve / online can use the r3d´s and the proxies made on shoot was what DP envisioned. Lot of times if working only from r3d the settings gets altered and changed a few times between leaving DP and getting to the colourist so good to have a firm proxy for reference.

One mistake I seen. Shooting with look around with cropped sensor, then the proxy gets full sensor while the r3d is cropped. Had some clients shooting 5k while looking at 8k for framing... happiness was low in the grading suite with that one. :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Man, I hate when people do this.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Man, I hate when people do this.
    Why if its only proxies for editing?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Why if its only proxies for editing?
    That's fine, but I've been on at least 5 or 6 projects (particualrly documentaries) where these were the only files the DP and camera operator shot.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer