Thread: Hazer and Fog Machine Safety

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I believe sets in NY are now technically supposed to have a fire-department representative if they are doing any haze. A permit is supposed to be obtained, regardless. This is seldom the case on smaller shoots, but there are regulations that are meant to be followed, mainly for the reasons Tom pointed out above.
    I did an outdoor night shoot in Vancouver about four years ago, and we had an A-list talent walking through a hedge maze. Overhead crane backlighting a lot of haze in the maze. When she arrived on set, she asked the SFX guys to see the specifications and health/safety certification of the haze machines before she would continue with the shoot. The crewmember laughed a bit when asked for the paperwork, and preceded to discount her concerns. She got very serious, spouted-off a long list of reasons why it's important, and refused to shoot until she could talk with the producers and AD to get the proper paperwork on the haze we were using.

Long story short, the hazers were safe and approved, but all this to say that if an actor feels uncomfortable with atmosphere, they can (and have rights to) delay your shoot.
    Last edited by Adam Carboni; 05-10-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carboni View Post
    I believe sets in NY are now technically supposed to have a fire-department representative if they are doing any haze. A permit is supposed to be obtained, regardless. This is seldom the case on smaller shoots, but there are regulations that are meant to be followed, mainly for the reasons Tom pointed out above.
    I did an outdoor night shoot in Vancouver about four years ago, and we had an A-list talent walking through a hedge maze. Overhead crane backlighting a lot of haze in the maze. When she arrived on set, she asked the SFX guys to see the specifications and health/safety certification of the haze machines before she would continue with the shoot. The crewmember laughed a bit when asked for the paperwork, and preceded to discount her concerns. She got very serious, spouted-off a long list of reasons why it's important, and refused to shoot until she could talk with the producers and AD to get the proper paperwork on the haze we were using.

Long story short, the hazers were safe and approved, but all this to say that if an actor feels uncomfortable with atmosphere, they can (and have rights to) delay your shoot.
    As someone who has a fairly strong chemical sensitivity, I try to be aware of these things when it comes to filming conditions. Hence my posting this thread, as my research was showing that if the wrong products are used, can cause issues on set. I've been on a lot of sets that have given me problems, but I know I'm more sensitive than most so I was curious as to whether certain haze/fog systems could contribute to that discomfort. I'm also sensitive to strong paint smells, certain adhesive products, things of that nature. And I can usually detect natural gas before the detectors. :-)

Seems like the DF-50 is still one of the better options.
    Steve Sherrick

I use to start immediately coughing when these were started, i am of the opinion that no smoke is safe and its something better added in post. I havent breathed in the more recent stuff, but have used some of the "real" water foggers - those make the entire set super wet though.

Living in Los Angeles is worse for your lungs than using one of these mineral oil foggers for a few hours or days etc.

: )
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Living in Los Angeles is worse for your lungs than using one of these mineral oil foggers for a few hours or days etc.

: )
    I use to have asthma and lung infections all the time in la area in 60's and 70's, havent had a problem in last twenty years (air quality is much better). But every now and then theres a inversion where air quality drops, i have also noticed this happens in cities like salt lake. At minimum foggers and such should not be used on low air quality days.

Is there any hazer liquid that will not leave anything after it beeing used? Im intrested in a smaller Hazer first and later get something like a DF-50 Diffusion Hazer.

DF-50 Diffusion Hazer
    DIFFUSION(tm) haze is totally odorless and can only be detected visually. No sore throats, funny smells, or burning eyes.
    - Safest, cleanest, and most efficient hazer for the entertainment industry.
    - Haze fluid is odorless and leaves no residue when used properly.

I dont want to mess up any set or anybodys home (or my camera gear).

Also, does all hazers trigger fire alarms?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Is there any hazer liquid that will not leave anything after it beeing used? Im intrested in a smaller Hazer first and later get something like a DF-50 Diffusion Hazer.

DF-50 Diffusion Hazer
    DIFFUSION(tm) haze is totally odorless and can only be detected visually. No sore throats, funny smells, or burning eyes.
    - Safest, cleanest, and most efficient hazer for the entertainment industry.
    - Haze fluid is odorless and leaves no residue when used properly.

I dont want to mess up any set or anybodys home (or my camera gear).

Also, does all hazers trigger fire alarms?
    The good hazers should leave little to no residue. If there is anything, easy enough to wipe down. I can't speak for ones that use different fluids. The DF-50 has never left anything that I could tell on my lenses or cameras.

You do have to be cautious with alarms. If they are sensitive and you are filling the room with a lot of haze, they could trigger. Definitely something to figure out well before actual day of filming as that could ruin your day.
    Steve Sherrick

Funnily enough, Shane Hurlbut just talked about this recently... and apparently the DF50 is *not* SAG certified, so you may want to re-think that (or at least confirm/doublecheck) if you’re doing gigs with union talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Funnily enough, Shane Hurlbut just talked about this recently... and apparently the DF50 is *not* SAG certified, so you may want to re-think that (or at least confirm/doublecheck) if you’re doing gigs with union talent.
    Are any of them SAG approved? The DF-50 is approved through Actors Equity.
    Steve Sherrick

Perhaps the Rosco is SAG approved?
    Steve Sherrick