Thread: Hdr gradeing for indie, small production companies, one man band

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I have to say, there was a time not long ago when even color-correcting Rec709 cost you $25,000-$30,000 for a display as a minimum. It's a miracle that today, you can get a reasonably-decent OLED display that will do this for less than 10% of this cost. So to me, the glass is half-full.
    After going through 7 of the 12 part tutorials, I've gained a new respect for those who work in Dolby Vision. Even though I'm sure the price of admission is going down monthly, it's still a little too cost prohibitive for, IMHO, the "little guys".
    Last edited by rand thompson; 05-08-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, USA
    Posts
    6,303
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    After going through 7 of the 12 part tutorials, I've gained a new respect for those who work in Dolby Vision. Even though I'm sure the price of admission is going down monthly, it's still a little too cost prohibitive for, IMHO, the "little guys".
    I think this is still true. It's very telling that neither Blackmagic nor Red have opted to jump into the grading monitor or projection business. Red did (famously) demonstrate a laser projector prototype some years ago, but I think it became obvious that getting the reliability, quality, and cost to a realistic level were insurmountable problems. It's relatively easy to make a $100,000 laser projector that hits all DCI specs; not so easy to make one for $10,000.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,925
    I would love to have control of some of the same parameters available in the "Primary Trims" and "Secondary Trims" Tools Available in Dolby Vision 4.0 in either ACEScct or the regular "Primary" tools in Resolve.






    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I think this is still true. It's very telling that neither Blackmagic nor Red have opted to jump into the grading monitor or projection business. Red did (famously) demonstrate a laser projector prototype some years ago, but I think it became obvious that getting the reliability, quality, and cost to a realistic level were insurmountable problems. It's relatively easy to make a $100,000 laser projector that hits all DCI specs; not so easy to make one for $10,000.
    Maybe Red will feel that this will need to be more of a focus for whatever the DSMC 3 cameras will bring. Maybe bring out a $15-$20,000 "off camera monitor" with "close enough" capabilities.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    I think this is still true. It's very telling that neither Blackmagic nor Red have opted to jump into the grading monitor or projection business. Red did (famously) demonstrate a laser projector prototype some years ago, but I think it became obvious that getting the reliability, quality, and cost to a realistic level were insurmountable problems. It's relatively easy to make a $100,000 laser projector that hits all DCI specs; not so easy to make one for $10,000.
    They all wait for microLED to mature.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, USA
    Posts
    6,303
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    I would love to have control of some of the same parameters available in the "Primary Trims" and "Secondary Trims" Tools Available in Dolby Vision 4.0 in either ACEScct or the regular "Primary" tools in Resolve.
    Dolby has a (free) 2-hour series of Dolby Vision training videos available on their website, and they deal specifically with the setup of how this can be done in Resolve and in ACES. The link is here:

    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professi...al-series.html

    One bigger issue is the cost of getting the Dolby Vision license, and for that you have to give Dolby a call and make the decision for yourself. I think the additional control set in Resolve is formidable and worth the cost, but it is a fairly hefty expense.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Dolby has a (free) 2-hour series of Dolby Vision training videos available on their website, and they deal specifically with the setup of how this can be done in Resolve and in ACES. The link is here:

    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professi...al-series.html

    One bigger issue is the cost of getting the Dolby Vision license, and for that you have to give Dolby a call and make the decision for yourself. I think the additional control set in Resolve is formidable and worth the cost, but it is a fairly hefty expense.
    Marc,


    Thanks for the Link! I will watch it in its entirety tomorrow when I have the time. It seems the more you learn and know, the more expensive things seem to get.


    Edit:


    I watched all 12 of theses tutorial already, but thanks for giving me a reason to watch them all over again, meaning to do that again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    They all wait for microLED to mature.
    This. I think we still got a solid 10 years till they are more affordable but its the way we are heading.

    By the way this thread is a very nice starter on HDR in general. The links are A+
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, USA
    Posts
    6,303
    MixingLight.com has also done some very good Insights on HDR grading, and there's a lot of good basic information and cautions in their explanations. (Note this is a pay site, but I think the expense is worth it.)
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,925
    Thanks for the link Marc and heres a more direct link to the Tutorials


    https://mixinglight.com/?s=dolby+Vision


    Here's a list from Dolby of a list of movies from 2015 to 2019 that were either released in "Dolby Vision" or "Dolby Atmos" or both



    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/t...-releases.html



    And, Here's a couple of older training videos, one from three years ago and one from 2 years ago. So they might be out-of-date yet still have some useful info.



    Dolby Vision Content Creation Workflow





    By Dolby Vision




    This presentation is a high level overview of the production and post production workflows involved in creating Dolby Vision content, as well as the key benefits of Dolby Vision for both the cinema and the home. Dolby Vision provides a dramatic imaging experience, with striking highlights, deep, vivid blacks, and a much wider color space than seen on current HD TV technology. We feel that it gives filmmakers the widest pallet to best tell their story. For more information, go to dolby.com/vision
    Links:
    Dolby Vision white paper: dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf
    The Art of Better Pixels white paper: dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/the-art-of-better-pixels.pdf




    Dolby Vision Content Creation Training Video 1


    By Dolby Vision





    This video helps understand the basic components needed to create Dolby Vision content and how to connect and configure them. (The CMU hardware shown is the HD model and the color correction system is BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve). For more information, go to dolby.com/vision
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts