Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: UPGRADING BEFORE DSMC3. BEST COURSE OF ACTION?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 UPGRADING BEFORE DSMC3. BEST COURSE OF ACTION? 
    I have a Scarlet-W that I am very happy with. However, it is my intention to upgrade to a Gemini (for low light capability) most probably via a Dragon-X, due to my limited resources.

My question to this learned forum relates to DMSC3 and the timing of these steps?

1. Shall I upgrade to Dragon-X, then wait for DMSC3, then upgrade to Gemini (whatever it has become!) ?

2. Upgrade to Dragon-X, Upgrade to Gemini, and see what DMSC3 does to Gemini thereafter ?

3. Stay with Scarlet-W, and nervously hope that there is an upgrade into DMSC3 ?

I realise that what I am asking is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string' but any advice, thoughts or insight would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks!

I would say go for gemini as soon as possible. With that camera you’re good to go for the next 5-8 years, which should be more than enough for making itself paid and ready for the next upgrade.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

Thanks for your input Sérgio! Yes I think what you say is correct and it would certainly pay for itself in that time frame. My concern (perhaps greed?) is wondering how different a DMSC3 Gemini would be and if there is any benefit/sense in waiting until 2020 before upgrading?

We dont know, when RED will release DMSC3.

Jarred did say some time ago that the DMSC2 would last to at least 2020...

I would wait til CINEGEAR.
    RED was quite silent this year at NAB, maybe they have some news at CINEGEAR. Back in May 2018 they released DSMC Unified... This was the last time that RED had really big news. Although they announced Dragon-X 5k in November 2018. RED also annouced RED RANGER a few month ago, but this camera is not for sale.

Its time for some BIG NEWS from RED. hehehe
    Norbert Niederacher
    Weapon MG, Schneider Xenon Primes, Angenieux EZ1 + EZ2

Next year is the year for big camera announcements.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Next year is the year for big camera announcements.
    I'm thinking by the end of year, the "Hydrogen Module / Actual camera thing" is going to be announced. Jarred recently made this post.

This is in response to the announcement last month that RED camera division is officially in charge of the change of direction of what was the "Hydrogen 2D Cinema Module".

https://h4vuser.net/t/big-changes-to...n-program/8562

Scarlet-W replacement anyone? :P

Yes Norbert, I will certainly wait for Cinegear and see if anything pops up. I think what Bob says is true that the big announcements will be sometime next year. So should one bump up to a Dragon-X just to be sure you are on the same field ??

Not so interested about the phone Adam! :))

I own a scarlet w and was planning on just waiting for DMSC3 to upgrade. I’m guessing that RED is going to make giant leaps forward with their new camera line. I was under the impression that there will definitely be an upgrade path from Scarlet w to DSMC3. Is there any reason why they wouldn’t offer that option?

I feel like cameras have to be coming close to some sort of plateau. They do everything we could possibly need them to do. I recently bought a new b-camera for my Gemini. The AJA cion. IT does everything I needed a camera to do, and in interview settings with controlled lighting, you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. And it cost like $12 ;-)

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    I feel like cameras have to be coming close to some sort of plateau. They do everything we could possibly need them to do. I recently bought a new b-camera for my Gemini. The AJA cion. IT does everything I needed a camera to do, and in interview settings with controlled lighting, you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. And it cost like $12 ;-)

Nick

Yeah you’re right. It probably won’t be a giant leap forward but I think dsmc3 will be enough of an improvement on the current line for me to wait on its release before upgrading. I am looking for excuses to spend the extra 12k for the Gemini though. If there will be no upgrade path from scarlet w to dsmc3 I will definitely do it sooner than later.