Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: UPGRADING BEFORE DSMC3. BEST COURSE OF ACTION?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Yes Norbert, I will certainly wait for Cinegear and see if anything pops up. I think what Bob says is true that the big announcements will be sometime next year. So should one bump up to a Dragon-X just to be sure you are on the same field ??

Not so interested about the phone Adam! :))
    William, here's a more thought out answer, my own take on the current time we are, based on my own experience.

I've used in challenging situations the Epic Dragon, MX, Scarlet W, Gemini, Helium and Monstro.

I would say Epic Dragon and Scarlet W are very close cousins and the advantages of DSMC2 are not that big to the Epic Dragon with the LLOLPF. Still love the Epic Dragon and its as current in terms of image quality as any other top end recent camera competitor.

The Scarlet W is also a great camera, as you know, and image quality is stunning. On par with the Epic Dragon.

Helium is amazing, it has a very distinctive look, I would say I prefer the Dragon look but 8K just completely opens up other possibilities. And I really don't understand the complaints about noise. It performs even a bit better than Epic Dragon LLOLPF. I owned a Helium and upgraded from the Epic Dragon. It was a great upgrade. I have to say I suggested it to a very close friend that made me a similar question to yours. He had the Epic MX and wanted to buy a DSMC2. Monstro was out of the question and he was asking Gemini and Helium. I suggested Helium. Because he wanted to stay with the camera for 5 to 8 years for proper return of investment. The Gemini has, in my view, better colours, but the Helium is more versatile and is more marketable here for clients. He's very happy with it and being the only Helium in town his camera is being used in practically all local productions with a proper budget.

Monstro is in a class of its own, but it also has a price that places it for another market.

Gemini is a winner. Compared to all the others, excluding Monstro, it has great color rendition and the sensor is mind blowing in DR and Low Light performance. The best 4K output camera on the market, including the Arris, in my opinion.

THe DSMC2 system is working very well, lots of accessories and support from third parties, Kipertie ND mount and Tilta/teradek correct the only few things that are lacking which is the connectivity and internal ND's situation.

I believe we will be in a 4K world for a long time (even though Japan Olympics in 2020), so if I were you, I would get the Gemini, or even Helium, with Red Armor, and aim not for DSMC3 immediately, but to get a great set of lenses like the Tokina Vista Primes in the next 3 or 4 years. Then upgrade.

Remember, DSMC1 Epic X (not M) price was, for the whole system, about 39K with basic accessories, when released. You already have basic DSMC2 accessories if you have the Scarlet W. I'm sure you won't be disappointed in going Helium or Gemini. The Dragon X? Hmm, I wouldn't go there. If I had a Raven, or was just entering the Red ecosystem? Absolutely. But going Dragon X would be a bit of a side step, like going Epic Dragon to Scarlet W.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

@JOHN: I was also going to hang on to my Scarlet-W until DSMC3. But then haven't RED already offered a way into their existing lineup through Dragon-X and Gemini? Scarlet-W is no longer current so maybe it is a gamble to just wait and hope for an additional upgrade path? I think NICK is completely correct when he says that cameras probably won't change that dramatically (if we are not talking phones!). Furthermore, there is a big difference between what you 'want' and what you actually 'need'. I follow this other DMSC3 Wish-list thread and realise how completely spoiled we all are. I only have to think back to my film days when my hands were buried in a changing-bag to realise how good it is now. My existing Scarlet-W serves my documentary needs perfectly, paid itself off in the first year and is continuing to be that wonderful tool that I use nearly every day.

Then Gemini turned up with those two extra stops. I agree with SERGIO that this is the camera to aim for but for cash-strapped filmmakers like myself it is actually cheaper to upgrade through Dragon-X on the way to Gemini.

The proverbial question remains: when best to do this? Probably as soon as possible and stop second-guessing about DSMC3.

I'm currently upgrading us from DSMC1 to DSMC2.... Aside from now wondering if I'm doing the right thing because of DSMC3, I'm also wondering what accessories will work between both series. I've found a couple of posts on the forum that lead me to believe that we should keep our Lens Mounts and possibly our Bomb evf and Red Pro Touch screens... will the DSMC1 top and bottom plates fit the DSMC2 bodies? Are there any other accessories that I should think about holding onto before we jump in?

We'd like to save as much money as we can in the upgrade path while ensuring camera functionality.
    William Howell
    Senior Creative and Multimedia Producer
    Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
    www.ihmc.us
    https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/articl...ics-walk-again

Quote Originally Posted by william howell View Post
    I'm currently upgrading us from DSMC1 to DSMC2.... Aside from now wondering if I'm doing the right thing because of DSMC3, I'm also wondering what accessories will work between both series. I've found a couple of posts on the forum that lead me to believe that we should keep our Lens Mounts and possibly our Bomb evf and Red Pro Touch screens... will the DSMC1 top and bottom plates fit the DSMC2 bodies? Are there any other accessories that I should think about holding onto before we jump in?

We'd like to save as much money as we can in the upgrade path while ensuring camera functionality.
    I believe some of your accessories will work but certainly not all of them. Obviously, you should check that very carefully. In regard to DMSC3... who knows? It is probably better just to get on with it and acquire the camera that you need. Although, having said that, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!' :))

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #15  
    Yes Norbert, I will certainly wait for Cinegear and see if anything pops up. I think what Bob says is true that the big announcements will be sometime next year. So should one bump up to a Dragon-X just to be sure you are on the same field ??

Not so interested about the phone Adam! :))
    You won't be seeing DSMC3 until at least the END of next year... so you will be waiting for a while if you want to wait it out.

And as per the phone camera comment.... As I said in that post referenced, I am also making a different "specialty" camera but It's not going to be anything like what was shown over by the Hydrogen team. I'm sure some people will make it their A camera for some things, but for most of you here, that will be more likely be a C camera/D camera/2nd unit camera.

Very much looking forward to this camera :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    You won't be seeing DSMC3 until at least the END of next year... so you will be waiting for a while if you want to wait it out.

And as per the phone camera comment.... As I said in that post referenced, I am also making a different "specialty" camera but It's not going to be anything like what was shown over by the Hydrogen team. I'm sure some people will make it their A camera for some things, but for most of you here, that will be more likely be a C camera/D camera/2nd unit camera.
    Alkali Digital
    Director | Cinematographer | Editor

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    'how long is a piece of string'
    straight from the horse’s mouth ... it can be super short or quite long depending on when you happen to upgrade... ;-)

If you choose the long road you can always borrow some of my gear when needed... as I have to plead guilty for your RED addiction.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Thanks Jarred. Gemini, here we come.
    William Howell
    Senior Creative and Multimedia Producer
    Florida Institute for Human and Machine Cognition
    www.ihmc.us
    https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/articl...ics-walk-again

DSMC3 being some time away is a relief after just purchasing gemini a few weeks ago. That being say this camera has totally surpassed my expectations and I totally love the color and overall performance of this sensor. You won't be disappointed going D2MC2 Gemini!
    R3D DSMC2 GEMINI
    Canon CN-E Primes

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    straight from the horse’s mouth ... it can be super short or quite long depending on when you happen to upgrade... ;-)

If you choose the long road you can always borrow some of my gear when needed... as I have to plead guilty for your RED addiction.
    Ha ha Mikael! Yes you are completely right, it is utterly your fault! But not once, it happened TWICE !!!
    First time was years back shooting together in Egypt on your bloody RED one - I was so envious!
    And now recently shooting in Japan together with you and your 'see-in-the-dark' Gemini. I just can't keep up!

Anyhow, thanks to your influence and Jarreds answer above, the course is now clear. Gemini as soon as possible.