Thread: Selection Mode/Tool Keyboard Remapping?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Selection Mode/Tool Keyboard Remapping? 
    I apologize for this being perhaps the most basic question ever, but I've searched high and low and can't seem to find an answer. The short story is that I'm a long time Premiere user but thinking of trying out making the switch to Resolve after the disaster that is the newest version of PP. That said, I'm great with remapping most of the keys that I'm used to. The one trick is trying to switch the Selection Mode/Tool (getting the cursor back, essentially) from P to V, which is keyboard shortcut in Premiere. I've looked all over remapping the keys, but nothing I try seems to work. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delahoyde View Post
    I apologize for this being perhaps the most basic question ever, but I've searched high and low and can't seem to find an answer. The short story is that I'm a long time Premiere user but thinking of trying out making the switch to Resolve after the disaster that is the newest version of PP. That said, I'm great with remapping most of the keys that I'm used to. The one trick is trying to switch the Selection Mode/Tool (getting the cursor back, essentially) from P to V, which is keyboard shortcut in Premiere. I've looked all over remapping the keys, but nothing I try seems to work. Any suggestions?
    It's A
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Steve,

In The Upper Left-hand Corner in Resolve under "Davinci Resolve" select "Keyboard Customization"

You should see this panel

Now in the upper Right-Hand corner of this window, you will see a few "default" keyboard layouts that you can choose from which keyboard layout you might be more familiar with. I don't know exactly how well those layouts imitate those actual program layouts, so you might want to check them out.

You can choose one of the layouts or just the "Davinci Resolve" layout and then go to the "Commands" area of the "Keyboard Customization" panel. Next, choose the specific area's default keyboard function mapping you want to change by clicking under the "Keystroke" heading and change it. then save the whole new keyboard re-mapping by whatever name you want.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I had gotten in there already and changed all of the other keys I needed (for instance, I like the razor tool being "R"), it's just that Selection Mode that doesn't seem to want to change from "P" to anything else. That feels locked in place by Resolve for some reason. Unless there's something else I'm just not seeing.

Oh, never mind, there it is, found it! In the keyboard config, it's called "Normal Edit Mode" and not "Selection Mode" (no idea why, since that's what they call it when you hover over the pointer icon). Once I found that, it changed to whatever I wanted to, no problem.

Steve,

Glad you got it sorted out!