Thread: How to “attach” film to an LLC?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How to “attach” film to an LLC? 
    Hello friends,

As there is such little information on this topic online, I find myself back again with another LLC question. Hoping to get advice from those who have done this before.

I have an LLC started, and I want to “attach” my film to this LLC, but I am not sure how to formally do this. Other than opening the LLC which I have already done, is there something else I need to do to legally bind my film to this LLC?

As always, all help greatly appreciated.

Anything you do for the film, you do via that LLC.

You write up contracts for actors/crew? Via the LLC

You borrow money for the film? Via the LLC

Rent equipment? Via the LLC

Hire a location? Via the LLC

Get insurance? Via the LLC

Etc etc etc
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

maybe assign story rights to LLC?
    then it's tied into chain of title, the film goes nowhere without that clear

The reason there isn't a lot of information about this online is because it's difficult for attorneys to give quality advice over the internet (for a number of legal reasons). If you want to do this properly, I would suggest consulting with an attorney or, if you can't afford one, check to see if a local law school has a clinical program where they'll take on work like this for free or reduced cost.

Otherwise chances are high that you will miss something and wind up without any of the protection you sought in the first place.

You can also file the copyright forms for the film and assign the ownership of the copyright to the LLC (which is not that unusual). I would very definitely suggest that you get an entertainment lawyer to make sure all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer