Thread: Contant Crashing:Low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings(AEVideoFilter)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Contant Crashing:Low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings(AEVideoFilter) 
    Hello,

I'm having a ton of crashes. I'm editing mostly multicam RED proxies. Before I crash I get a ton of the same error all at once (Low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings (AEVideoFilter:29) and (Low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings (AEVideoFilter:5) I'm new to RED.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix? I've tried restarting, upgrading to newest version of premiere, clearing cache, clearing user preferences... It's becoming a huge problem. I'm even finding that I can't change project preferences. I just get a new error "unable to create edit text."
    Thank you for your help.

Kind Regards,
    Julie
    Attached Images

First of all, you need to tell us some basics.

1) What software are you on? Avid? Premiere? FCX? Resolve? The crashing may have nothing todo with RED, and may be a software issue

2) What computer are you on?

3) What type of drive are the proxies on?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Thank you, Nick!
    1) Premiere Pro CC 2019
    2) PC, Intel (R) Core (TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.31 GHz, 128 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
    3) Proxies (And RAW footage) are on MAXX Raid

Thank you for your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Butler View Post
    Thank you, Nick!
    1) Premiere Pro CC 2019
    2) PC, Intel (R) Core (TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30 GHz 3.31 GHz, 128 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro
    3) Proxies (And RAW footage) are on MAXX Raid

Thank you for your assistance.
    Gotcha. Off the top of my head I'm wondering if Premiere is getting confused btw Proxies and RAW. What happens if you hide the RAW files and only let Premiere work with proxies?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

5. #5 This might help? 
    I ran into the same problem "a low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings (AEVideoFilter:29)" and couldn't find a fix online (anywhere!) So eventually I managed to pin point the error myself. Maybe it could help you too!?

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF WHAT CAUSED MY PROBLEM:
    On my timeline I had rendered out another version of a specific .R3D file with a different ISO setting via RED-CINE X (because it was a one shot from a very dark scene, moving into a very bright scene)
    The name remained the same on the two versions (A067_C041_0320F6_001.R3D) but they were in different folders, with different length on the footage.
    The project had no problems for about 3 months (documentary) then one day everything started to crash.
    After updating to a new version of premiere - all of a sudden the error, "a low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings (AEVideoFilter:29)” started to appear followed by “out of memory” and “unspecified drawing error”. The project kept on crashing all the time.
    Turns out that by updating Premiere to version 13.1.4 (build 2) must somehow have linked the RMD of the two different exports of ISO with the same filename together which caused the whole timeline to crash again and again. (I kept running out of RAM on my GPU (yes, I actually bought a new GPU to eliminate that possibility)

THE SOLUTION:
    I deleted the "duplicate" files from the project (leaving a blank space in the timeline where they were before.)
    Renamed the "duplicate" files (which are spanning files so in my case 4 different .R3D files and the folder containing them) re-imported them into the project again and matched the time codes to get them in where they used to be.
    Problem solved, no errors, no out of memory and no unspecified drawing error. (hope that made sense)

PROJECT INFO:
    Premiere version: 13.1.4 (build 2)
    Editing mode: RED Cinema
    Timebase: 25 fps
    Frame size: 8192x4320 (256:135)
    Footage: 8192x4320, 25fps, IPP2 (colorspace: REDWideGamutRGB, Log 3G10) about 10 hours of footage.
    Timeline: about 15 minutes

COMPUTER INFO:
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    CPU: i9-7980XE @2.60GHz
    GPU: 2080 TI (founders edition) - (Used to be 1080)
    RAM: 64 GB
    Hard drive: Internal RAID 0 of two 8 TB PRO discs.

FAILED FIX ATTEMPTS:
    Removed all grade
    Deleted all adjustment layers
    Turned off mercury playback (GPU powered playback)
    Switched RAM from Performance to Memory
    Created blank new project and imported entire old project
    Deleted unused timelines and removed all unused files in project
    Updated graphics card driver
    Uninstalled Premiere and reinstalled
    Uninstalled and reinstalled all RED related drivers.
    Cleared the media cache folders (manually, all of them)
    Reinstalled Windows 10
    Bought a new GPU (But I really like it so it's ok)

Just ran into a similar issue like this with my first feature! It said something about "AEVideoFilter 29" on basically all of my R3D clips. I followed a little Youtube video on it and resetting the preferences by holding down ALT (or OPTION on Mac) when Premiere starts seemed to fix the problem. No idea what was going on, I was listening to the project through a USB Soundblaster and now things are back to my onboard sound, other than that everything else seems to be working the same. Hopefully that helps somebody with this similar issue, I had everything going fine until earlier tonight after making a duplicate sequence before adding our reshoot material and I added the Blackmagic Pocket 4K material to a Bin which has been rather chunky since we used CDNG. Maybe it overloaded something in Premiere? Not sure. I'll post any updates if there are any.

Ok, this could have nothing to do with it or everything to do with it. I just edited half of an action sequence and was closing up for the night and I happened to scroll over my sequence in the project window and the same low level R3D error popped up! I'm going to try to put the sequences in a separate Bin folder and see if that helps anything. Maybe the thumbnail preview in Premiere doesn't like long form 4K R3D projects?

EDIT: I just remembered before I had the errors I did actually move the sequence files which were in a footage Bin folder to the main project space. Maybe that's what's causing the issues? I'll update if there's any other related issues or causes.

UPDATE! Alright, so I was still getting the crashes last night, here's what I've done and it seems to have worked:

1. Disabled Thumbnail previews on the timeline
    2. Tried to keep thumbnail previews out of Project window, it always defaults to have them on seemingly whenever opening another Bin.
    3. Updated Geforce 1070 Founders Edition drivers to the latest
    4. Turned off my RAID to rest for the night.
    5. Removed the assembly cut sequence which was our first cut before adding the new reshoot material. I had duplicated it to a new sequence to work on the new cut and preserve it for reference and if anything went missing (like a couple audio clips I copied to replace). Oh well!
    6. I've gone through and reset any RED files to "As Shot" in Master Effects as I had tested some looks and VFX for greenscreen, only really changed white balance. Also reset any Blackmagic Pocket 4K CDNG clips just to be safe.
    7. Removed any additional VFX like Colorista or Ultra Key for testing our greenscreen shots.
    8. Once again, emptied Media Cache.

So far, everything has loaded fine and I've made multiple saves along the way with each big change, again for preservation and debugging. I've restarted the project a couple times as well and no loading errors as of yet, so I assume something along the way fixed the problem. I'm leaning towards erasing the other sequence, the thumbnail previews, and/or resetting the RED metadata. I can say that the Geforce driver update didn't help much but that's one of the things I tried in all of this. Even resting the RAID could have done something as it was technically a loading issue. Who knows? I'll post again if it comes up once more, until then, back to the edit!

It happened again! I apparently can't mess with this RED footage at all in the Master Effects panel! I was just testing and comparing one shot to another, thinking I had it all fixed after finishing a scene, then it strikes again! Again, just changed white balance and this time ISO a bit as we were a bit under exposed, then put Filmconvert Nitrate on top to tweak the look and the popup came in. Thankfully I thought to save beforehand so a quick media cache dump seems to have fixed things once again. Really disappointing, no idea what's up with this project or maybe even our Premiere install but at least I know how to fix things and to ultimately just focus on the edit and do the look in After Effects or Davinci Resolve later.

Things have been holding pretty steady but still I get a AEVideoFilter crash almost daily for some random reason. However, tonight when I kept getting the error while loading my latest project save, I tried something a little different and adjusted my timeline by zooming out and scrolling down the way on the timeline a little bit from where I left off. Normally I would let it sit and load all the media and if a crash occurred, usually it was cleared with a dump of the media cache and a couple attempts to load the project. Again, I suspect something in the GUI code with thumbnails and/or previews is actually messing things up. Also to note, if I haven't mentioned it yet, this is on CC2018 as we started editing last year so I don't know if CC2019 will have this same issue or methods of fixing or working around it. I don't see any other reason for these crashes so if anything I've shared helps somebody or even gets word back to Adobe then I figure it's worth it to post. So, in summary, zooming out and scrolling down the timeline fixed it this time and I'll have to wait and see if I get another issue of it again when opening up another save down the line.