Thread: Beachtek DXA-RED

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    The default is a good option. Especially if you have a cheese plate on the side plate. But I have another that works pretty good that I'll be showing shortly.

BTW, the sounds quality is very good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxlBOXEFFQJ/
    post a sound test!
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

Any tests on the phantom power over a sustained filming duration yet? I have previously owned the Mixpre 3 but found an increasing amount of interference over the course of a filming day. This seemed to be worse when powering from a larger battery source such as a V-Lock. This Beachtek option looks solid so hopeful it has a clean audio signal to camera when phantom power is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franjic View Post
    Any tests on the phantom power over a sustained filming duration yet? I have previously owned the Mixpre 3 but found an increasing amount of interference over the course of a filming day. This seemed to be worse when powering from a larger battery source such as a V-Lock. This Beachtek option looks solid so hopeful it has a clean audio signal to camera when phantom power is activated.
    I think the reality is that most pro shoots (scripted TV series and features) are using wireless mics on the actors, wireless booms, and wireless links to camera (in cases where they're recording multitrack and a scratch mix goes to the camera). The ultimate quality of mic preamps is not that much a factor in a world were cabled mics are not used that much any more, simply because they get in the way and are harder to deal with on a set. There are always exceptions, particularly studio shoots that are carefully controlled with large crews that work at a measured pace, but that doesn't happen as much as it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    For top notch sound you have the Sonosax M2D2. It's a solution for DSLR cameras like Sony A7 or DSMC2 but can also be hooked to a Smartphone used as recorder.
    I tend to doubt the low-budget shooters looking for a preamp are going to pay the US$995 that Sonosax is asking for this unit. It'll be hard to compete with the Beachtek at half the price.

I don't dispute that Sonosax's sound quality (and construction quality) is second to none, but we're talking about a world where people are using cheap Zoom recorders, cheap microphones, and capturing sound on DSLRs, which (with rare exceptions) verges on absolute crap. I have used Beachteks in a pinch when I volunteered for a close friend doing a 1-day personal project, and we got adequate results for the YouTube crowd, but even in that case we were using wireless lavs, good Sanken mics, and I was mixing live. There are old-school mixers still using wired booms, but on a fast-paced shoot -- particularly reality shows, multi-camera dramas, and so on -- there's no easy way to get a boom to fit into that style of shooting. Sit down interviews, sure.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    A Mix-Pre 3 doesn't look that much bigger - or am I wrong?
    It would be waaaaaaaay smaller, and is why I'd recommend it instead. Plus it would be more generally useful.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franjic View Post

Where you using the Remote Audio Hirose powering sled for it?
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Any up to date reviews on this unit?
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post
    Any up to date reviews on this unit?
    I'm so behind on getting other reviews out. I will say that its an awesome unit and worth the money.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    I'm so behind on getting other reviews out. I will say that its an awesome unit and worth the money.
    Will this work with my Scarlet?
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Will this work with my Scarlet?
    I don't see why not. You would just need to split the cable from stereo to 2 mono jacks.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    Just a heads up we had a friend plug a DXA-Red into his I/O expander and it fried the unit. It would power the camera, but nothing else. We've taken to plugging it straight into the battery P-tap. Shout it out if anyone else has this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher S Johnson View Post
    Just a heads up we had a friend plug a DXA-Red into his I/O expander and it fried the unit. It would power the camera, but nothing else. We've taken to plugging it straight into the battery P-tap. Shout it out if anyone else has this happen.
    There are electronic fuses in the I/O expander that can be manually reset from the Power display. Shame on RED if those fuses could not properly protect the equipment as designed. I've had fuse-tripping power problems before, and at least once it was fixed with a firmware update.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"