Thread: Beachtek DXA-RED

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Anybody have any feedback on the DXA-Red?
    DSMC2 Helium #000043 "Violet”
    Denton Film, LLC
    WWW.DENTONFILM.COM

Honestly think you're better off buying the Sound Devices MixPre3, it is only slightly larger, just a couple of hundred grams heavier, and you get a 3rd channel, back up recordings, and heaps more features.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

3. #23 Beachtek DXA RED 
    I don't recommend getting the Beachtek DXA RED unit. Before it even arrived I had messages from CVP telling me to watch out for the product as it has issues that can harm your camera. I then got the same message from Beachtek. The product took weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, even though I ordered it direct from Beachtek. Then my RED had internal issues, which I wouldn't be surprised if it were due to the DXA unit.

Senior Member Christopher S Johnson's Avatar
    It's a good argument for using OEM, but as long as you NEVER plug it into the I/O expander, and ALWAYS plug it into your battery p-tap it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boon View Post
    I don't recommend getting the Beachtek DXA RED unit. Before it even arrived I had messages from CVP telling me to watch out for the product as it has issues that can harm your camera. I then got the same message from Beachtek. The product took weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, even though I ordered it direct from Beachtek. Then my RED had internal issues, which I wouldn't be surprised if it were due to the DXA unit.
    Its any easy fix actually. The temporary fix is to simply remove this insert by unscrewing it from the top. See attached picture. This removes any possible short and the unit can now be safely used. Note, that the unit does not have to be disassembled. They are working on a permanent fix by replacing this insert with a shorter version. This will be sent to you as soon as it is available.
    Attached Images

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Hows does is it compared to the Beachtek DXA-MICRO-PRO? Haven't had any issues with it yet and power it through the USB. For paying clients I always have a producer hire a sound recordist. I only rely on this for some quick interviews, documentary, or no budget project.

Do you know if this has been fixed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keiser View Post
    Do you know if this has been fixed yet?
    Just get a Sound Devices MixPre3mk2 (or a Sonosax) instead.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding