Thread: SCARLET-W IPP2 - More grain than version2?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 SCARLET-W IPP2 - More grain than version2? 
    Hello Everyone,

I have the scarlet-w and I am used to shoot, editing and grading with version2.

Recently, using DaVinci Resolve, I tried to change the metadata, inside the camera raw window, from Version2 to IPP2 and 99% of the time the result is that the IPP2 image is way more grainy than the version2, which instead seems to have some sort of auto-denoise.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thank you,
    D.

Davide,

When you changed the "Color Science" from " Version 2" To "IPP2" Did you also change the "Color Space" and 'Gamma Curve"

From this which is Wrong

From this which is Correct and Which also requires Output Transform Luts to look correct.

Last edited by rand thompson; 05-17-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Hey Rand, thank you so much for your attention!

I read some online articles about this, then I played a bit with all the options as you said. Apparently the problem was that I was not changing RedLogFilm Gamma Curve into Log3G10.

My Red captured "Version2 - RedWideGamutRDB - RedLogFilm"

and, as you said, I was just changing the Version2 color space into IPP2, without changing RedLogFilm into Lg3G10.

I read that RedWideGamutRGB + Log3G10 is the perfect combo to get the most out of the red sensor, the first for the colors and the second one for the dynamic range.

At this point my question is: is this the very best setting we can have into the camera, what technically happens if I don't use Log3G10 and I keep working with RedLogFilm?

Was Log3G10 created to perfectly match the RedWideGamutRGB?

Thank you again,
    Davide

Davide,

Yes LOG3G10 was specifically created to work with RedwidegamutRGB and to get the absolute best results from the Output Transforms Luts required, you have to have both to get the results envisioned by Red.