Thread: Monstro and weather

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Monstro and weather 
    Hi ,
    I have to make a 60 days movie to '"La reunion" (next to Madagascar) in July/Augustus/septembre .
    I would like to rent a RED MONSTRO for this movie but the camera rental company told me that "The Monstro was not reliable for this kind of shooting because of the sun and wet weather."
    Could you advice me with your experiences about this issue ?
    I know RED Weapon and I don't have any problems with this camera.
    Do you think RED monster is more fragile than an Alexa mini , maybe because of the fan ?
    Thank you .
    Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Therasse View Post
    camera rental company told me that "The Monstro was not reliable for this kind of shooting because of the sun and wet weather"
    Sounds like they either don't have a Monstro or are trying to rent you a different body.

Very literally have had the Monstro in snow, rain (covered of course), and blazing hot sun (and I'd recommend a shade if you can for you and the camera for that matter). An umbrella goes a long way to protect from heat and rain. The other cameras have fans too and not more fragile than a Mini, actually quite the opposite.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Look at Mark Toia's reels. I don't know many who push as hard as he does.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

It's a lie to say that the Monstro is incapable of dealing with extreme weather conditions. I have taken mine from Tanzania's humid summers to our local Montreal winters and have never had an issue.
    It would also be a lie to say that the Monstro/DSMC2 fans are as quiet as certain other camera's fans. If you are working in tight spaces with sync sound and lots of dialogue, it's worth testing the different fan settings offered with your camera assistant and sound recordist to find the sweet spot.

And it's good to note that if possible, the Ranger body also exists and offers a larger fan as a way to alleviate the loudness when working in sync sound environments.
    Simran Dewan
    cinematographer | www.simrandewan.com
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Monochrome / Monstro 8K VV

CineGround Media Inc.
    www.cineground.com
    Cameras - Post-Production

Mine has been in mud, pisspooring rain, severe humidity. Dipped submerged in powdersnow in minus 10 degrees. dropped / Submerged in powdersnow when in plus degrees and camera was hot from the sun looked like a dripping snowball when I managed to pick it up.

Only issues I experiensed is that the touchscreen can start to act up when getting lot of water on it. It has not got any permanent errors but starts to work again when dried up.

As with all electronics and photo equipment its important to avoid condensation. But I find my lenses to run into trouble with that long before the camera.

So weather vice I find the weapon bodies to work very well. Monstro just the same as helium and the others. Not much to worry about in that regard.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Bjorn, even uncovered and we're talking dsmc2 here?

I'll second Bjorn's observations. Your touchscreen will stop responding and your lenses will fog internally before anything else bad happens. Touchscreens will stop freaking out once dry--I haven't totally killed one yet. (all in my own experience, of course. your experience may vary)
    andymaser.com

Phillipe,

The advice from the rental company is just weird. According to Wikipedia the the weather on Réunion Island is cool and dry from May to November as it is winter in the Southern hemisphere so heat and moisture is just not an issue. I own a Monstro camera and it has not missed a beat but considering the isolation of Réunion for a sixty day shoot I would take a complete spare camera not matter what system you choose. If the budget is super tight the backup camera could be an older Dragon sensor body? Anecdotal evidence points to the Mini being an extremely reliable camera but to match the Monstro you would have to consider a Mini LF and unsure if you could even source one?
    Tom Gleeson

Thank you very much to everybody for your experiences and advices.
    Best regards.
    Philippe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shugarman View Post
    Bjorn, even uncovered and we're talking dsmc2 here?
    Yes.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro