Thread: Flat base flihead for slider

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Flat base flihead for slider 
    Hi guys,
    need some help. I want a light fluid head for Magic Carpet Pro. Head must be light but take 8kg DSMC2 camera. Something for travel. I looked to Sachtler but I don't see any small and light flat base heads. :( Do you have any tips?
    Thanks
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

Quote Originally Posted by Karel Šimůnek View Post
    Hi guys,
    need some help. I want a light fluid head for Magic Carpet Pro. Head must be light but take 8kg DSMC2 camera. Something for travel. I looked to Sachtler but I don't see any small and light flat base heads. :( Do you have any tips?
    Thanks
    At NAB I saw the new Manfrotto 612 coming out. I normally don't recommend them, but for travel, this may do the trick.

https://www.manfrotto.us/nitrotech-6...ous-cbs-1967c8

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Sachtler AceXL head, 3.7lb/1.7kg

17.6lb/8kg Capacity

https://www.sachtler.com/en/sachtler...l-/c-26/p-1330
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

I don't know of something flat base that supports 8kg. When confronted with a similar problem, I chose to strip down my rig and use a Miller Air head, which only supports 11 lbs but has a flat base mode. The Miller DS-20 also allows flat-base mounting, supports 18 lbs. I own a Sachtler DV12SB, but much prefer the Miller models to the Sachtler Ace (or Manfrottos) in this size/price range.

The other thing you can do is add a slender hi hat; Ikan makes one that's approx. 6" high.

That said, I think that compact sliders are almost always a problem with medium and large cameras, even when they are rated to take the weight. I have the Rhino. The problem is that they are too narrow (distance between rails) to allow effective use with a camera raised 5 or 6 inches above the platform, and they want to torque or flip themselves over as the center of gravity changes. You can maybe deal with it with grip-- two sturdy stands, sandbags, etc.-- but that defeats the purpose of a travel-sized slider!

So my real solution is to only use my slider with an A7RIII, rather than my main camera.

The problem is that they are too narrow (distance between rails) to allow effective use with a camera raised 5 or 6 inches above the platform, and they want to torque or flip themselves over as the center of gravity changes. You can maybe deal with it with grip-- two sturdy stands, sandbags, etc.-- but that defeats the purpose of a travel-sized slider!
    The problem is that they are too narrow (distance between rails) to allow effective use with a camera raised 5 or 6 inches above the platform, and they want to torque or flip themselves over as the center of gravity changes. You can maybe deal with it with grip-- two sturdy stands, sandbags, etc.-- but that defeats the purpose of a travel-sized slider!
    I have a little slider that I use for doc stuff. I put a 100mm ball mount on the center so I can mount it on the tripod. Then I put monopods on each end so it is supported the whole run. Works very well and is still compact and travely ;-)

Nick

I have Manfrotto Nitro 8 and its perfect for your need, We use it exactly for that you want

Guys, thank you! That Sachtler Ace XL head looks amazing!
    KAREL ŠIMŮNEK fan of RED :)

I have a little slider that I use for doc stuff. I put a 100mm ball mount on the center so I can mount it on the tripod. Then I put monopods on each end so it is supported the whole run. Works very well and is still compact and travely ;-)

Nick
    Good tip-- I'll have to try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    At NAB I saw the new Manfrotto 612 coming out. I normally don't recommend them, but for travel, this may do the trick.

https://www.manfrotto.us/nitrotech-6...ous-cbs-1967c8
    Like Bob, I’ve always been skeptical of Manfrotto, but I bought a Manfrotto N12 & 536 carbon fiber legs when B&H had a half-price sale ( now discontinued but identical specs ). It’s nitro tech counterbalance system is very impressive. You can use it as a flat base, or 100 mm ball or 75 mm ball mount with up to 26.4 pound capacity. Also, the 536 sticks have an impressive height range of 10 inches to 80 inches.
    Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com