Thread: No ASIO support in Resolve! = No surround! (OR MIDI)

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 No ASIO support in Resolve (OR MIDI) - MOTU Sonarworks tips too 
    If you're having trouble getting more than two outputs from Resolve for Surround in Windows:
    There's No ASIO support in Resolve = No Surround if your soundcard only has multi-channel ASIO drivers in windows. It only supports 2 outputs.
    According to them: the only way to do surround is by using a Decklink via SDI outputs or use their PCIE Audio Accelerator Card (MADI) Which requires their I/O box.

If your soundcard supports WDM Windows drivers with multiple outputs you may be good though.

If you have a MOTU 828ES or similar ... in Windows Sound Playback properties - OUT 1-24:
    In advanced settings - change it from the default 24 channel output to 8 Channel. Then it should be able to be recognized in Davinci Resolve.
    Just Change your Speaker Setup and your output track to Surround instead of Stereo and it should play out of all speakers!
    (I tried 10 outputs but it only works with 8)

If you use Sonarworks Systemwide (Only Stereo anyway) - It sometimes causes it to crash during startup:
    Just change the output to 24 bit (or in newer versions) - to 32 Bit Studio Quality (32 bit regular prevents startup for some reason) - Then you should be able to Start up Resolve

On a side note - editable MIDI tracks would be great! (One step closer to not needing pro tools for certain tasks!)
    Last edited by SK Moore; 06-07-2019 at 06:13 PM.

SK,

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but try these tutorials.

Recording Voice-Over Audio | Davinci Resolve Tutorial

By TDCatTech

Tutorial on setting up audio in Davinci Resolve 15 Fairlight to record voice over or narration audio from your mic or other input source.

Recording a voice over track is easily done in Resolve with a few simple steps to get things setup. It wouldn't be my choice of program to use purely because of the lack of ASIO support (which is a pain!) but it certainly can do some powerful stuff, particularly with the addition of ADR (automated dialogue replacement) in version 15.

Davinci Resolve 16 Foley Sampler Plugin Tutorial

By Digital Vector Studios Limited

The new Davinci Resolve 16 Foley Sampler Plugin is built in to the free version of of Davinci Resolve 16 and the Studio version of Davinci Resolve 16. The Foley sampler can be used from the Fairlight Page, Edit Page or the Cut page in Resolve. The Foley Sampler offers a great way to add Foley sounds effects for Film and video projects where it may be difficult to capture great sound while recording. The Foley sampler offers an easy way to customize the sounds, set up a keyboard with multiple Foley sounds and save the custom keyboard as a preset so it can be loaded again very quickly. Blackmagic has promised 500 free Foley sounds for download. I will provide download instructions for the Davinci Resolve 16 Foley sounds as soon as they are released by Blackmagic.

DaVinci Resolve 15 Fairlight MIDI Sound Tutorial

by Digital Vector Studios Limited

Using a MIDI keyboard controller with Davinci Resolve 15 in Fairlight is easy to set up. This audio tutorial will show you how to use a MIDI keyboard or synthesizer to play and record audio in the Fairlight tab of Davinci Resolve 15. This will help you know how to set up bus assignments to get your MIDI instrument working with almost any VST instrument including recording and playing back the sound recorded. You can play audio, audition audio record audio takes live with your video running to be able to create the best possible score for your movie. This video tutorial shows how set the needed options in Fairlight to use a MIDI keyboard to play Omnisphere. Any VST such as Komplete, U-he Diva, Zebra 2, EzKeys or your favorite synthesizer will work the same way. A guitar or microphone or other MIDI controller like Maschine will also be able to setup within Resolve Fairlight using a similar method. Plug in your MIDI keyboard and start recording sounds in Davinci Resolve 15 Fairlight!

I've definitely checked out some of the tutorials you posted on the other thread during the past year or so - they have come in handy before! So yeah - keep up the good work!
    The midi tutorials are okay but without actual midi tracks in the software to edit or change a note later if need be - it's sort of a pain in the butt workaround :p
    Luckily I did find if I lowered my Windows WDM driver from the standard 24 to 8 (losing some outputs and ADAT/etc) ... I can get it to be recognized in Resolve! It won't work with 10 outputs (aka 7.1.2 Atmos) but for now I'm okay with that.
    Hopefully they can figure that out in the future but if someone else has a MOTU 828ES ... Turn Out 1-24 to 8 outs in the windows settings and then it should be able to be recognized. :)

Sk,

Alright then, It's seems you have worked out your own solution. Maybe Blackmagic Designs will come up with a better solution for in either an upcoming Beta or the final release version of Resolve 16.