Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: New article: The Cameras Behind Netflix Best Series: Spoiler- RED Dominates

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New article: The Cameras Behind Netflix Best Series: Spoiler- RED Dominates 
    We sampled more than 40 of the highest ranked Netflix series, and we checked their tech spec on IMDB, to explore the cameras behind them. The results were the opposite of what we found at the Academy Awards, Cannes and Sundance Film Festival. It seems that Netflix is another game of cinematography when RED cameras take the lead.

Read full article at: https://ymcinema.com/2019/05/28/the-...red-dominates/

Charts are attached.

Yossy
    Attached Images

There's no doubt RED's are capable of making beautiful images, we've all seen them, but let's sorta play devil's advocate. How many shows do you think would have been shot on RED if it wasn't for the "4K mandate"?

The flip side to that conversation is how much more worried would Netflix be about the approaching streaming competition if their 4K mandate hadn't provided a plethora of 4K original content which incentivised tv manufacturers looking to sell new 4K TVs to bundle and heavily advertise Netflix with their smart TV offerings?

Also how much better a service does Netflix ptovide at ALL levels if VOD distribution by having high resolution masters that then compress more efficiently with less artifacting for downstream deliverables.

These are questions where 4K offers not just Netflix but also the content creators and audiences tangible advantages that don't strictly have to do with the 'look' of the series in it's best incarnation- but rather the look of the look of the series for every deliverable and who will actually be watching the series.

The question of how many Red shows would proceed without Netflix's 4K mandate is only valid if the Netflix 4K mandate was somehow arbirtrary. Its really not.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    There's no doubt RED's are capable of making beautiful images, we've all seen them, but let's sorta play devil's advocate. How many shows do you think would have been shot on RED if it wasn't for the "4K mandate"?
    What's that gonna prove? That nobody else is capable of 4K but RED? :)

Senior Member Bérenger Brillante's Avatar
    Speaking of resolution, am I the only one to find Altered Carbon and The haunting of Hill House completely soft ?
    I'm not speaking of their depth of field or light and image, which are beautiful, but lots of times I was wondering if my eyes were tired as I couldn't focus properly.

I haven't seen Dark yet, but I guess it's the same.

Altered Carbon was shot with Arri65, albeit at 5K instead of the "full frame" 6.5K. But it is definitely not short on source resolution. The large format sensor does make focus pulling pretty rough at times, particularly on longer lenses.

7.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #7  
    People spend way too much time worrying about these charts. We will lose on almost every chart because RED is not for the normal. It is not supposed to be. If RED becomes the normal, it means we are not doing good enough... and it also means that the other companies are not doing good enough.

People need to remember RED is not supposed to be the king of every mountain.. we were built to be the edge. We push the imaging ball forward, sometimes too far, and as much as the industry sometimes hates it because it is change, it really is in everyone best interest. Image capture has been democratized. Professional capture NEED to continuously get better, just like consumer tools just keep closing the gap. We did this with resolution. We made it "normal" And we did it with dynamic range in a small pixel size. Now we are pushing to solve the next imaging hurdle that is on our list.

Cinematographers that don't care about pushing the image to the edge... that don't give a shit about technology.. usually avoid us like the plague. Because even though we are making it easier and easier to work at the highest resolution at the absolute highest image quality, It is still easier just to point and shoot and capture something that is just good enough, and for a lot of people, that is obviously, good enough. And that's not wrong, There are a lot of people that would prefer to drive a Volvo over a Lamborghini, because it is just easier, and safer. And that is ok. It is people that expect more that usually look over the fence to the RED side. That is why we are here.

I do know saying people only shoot RED because of they are forced to is a bit unfair, You can see on the chart there are a dozen other cameras approved by Netflix that every cinematographer on the list had access to. Even if they normally shot their ARRI and couldn't because the image wasn't good enough for Netflix, They had A LOT of other options, if they wanted to. And to be fair we lost a few shows here because some of the cameras on this list that are not RED were chosen by ARRI cinematographers that just hate RED so much that they just couldn't bear to use one :)

At the end of the day the customer has the only vote that matters. Netflix 4k mandate had nothing to do with us... We didn't sit on their doorstep demanding it. When that mandate happened, we learned the same day everyone else did. They realized all by themselves that the customer would want it, they knew they could charge more for it, and they implemented it. If it didn't work, if the customers didn't care, they wouldn't of done it and they wouldn't continue to do it. Yes when that mandate happened, almost every other camera company jumped on top of their boxes shouting that resolution doesn't matter. Now today, every single cinema camera company makes cameras above 4k. Because the customers want it. Walk into Best Buy... it is getting hard to buy a 1080p tv today. Of the almost 270 models of televisions Best Buy sells, 240 of those televisions are 4k or above. It's almost 10:1. That ratio was almost the exact opposite the day the Netflix mandate went into place.

Next year this chart and that ratio will change as Arri and Sony both have new cameras that just have been added to the list. We have the Ranger and the Dragon-X just show up to the party as well. At the end of the day, choice is good. We don't care about winning awards , we just care about pushing the best image forward, no matter how hard and no matter how far.

Thanks, Jarred,

I use to not care so much about 2k vs 4k vs 8k etc. but then I started doing digital zooms in post on my 6K Red footage,
    and it looks so good that now I would prefer 8K for acquisition.
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Now we are pushing to solve the next imaging hurdle that is on our list.

Another inspirational speech! But this sentence really caught my eye!

Can’t wait to find out what that hurdle is!!!!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    Another inspirational speech! But this sentence really caught my eye!

Can’t wait to find out what that hurdle is!!!!
    My dream is that the next hurdle is 20 stops of Dynamic Range even at ISO 25.

:)
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.